Saturday, August 29, 2009

This Year's Homeschool Room

Over the past few weeks, I've been working on our first-ever school room, and what fun it turned out to be! My budget for the project was small, so I had to be creative using things we already owned. I found almost everything else at garage sales and thrift stores. Here are some pics:



The available space in my house for a schoolroom was in our basement/family room, just as you walk down the stairs and round the corner. The above photo is what you see as you enter the room.


This is at the bottom of the stairs. Thank you, Uncle Joe, for the whiteboard & bulletin boards!


This is the wall opposite of the whiteboard, next to the stairs. Our school table will be a folding table and chairs this year, but I think the table cloth dresses it up nicely!



A closer look at my art & supply cabinet. This actually is our old TV cabinet, which my sister & brother-in-law gave to us when we were first married. I was using it to hold games and crates of toys - looks much neater now! The narrow shelves in the square area are actually shoe organizers - a very nice tip I picked up from other homeschooling moms' blogs. The baskets hold all of our pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, etc. And I found the paper trays at Goodwill for $1 each - black lacquered boxes! (So exciting!) Sitting on top of the cabinet are some of our art supplies, in glass jars and bowls: watercolor pencils, artist-quality colored pencils, drawing & sketching pencils, and oil pastels. I had a set of chalk pastels from my own art classes (ages ago) that I pulled out to use this year; they are a little too messy for jars, however, and will stay in their box :) They fit nicely on top of the little shelves. All of our art curriculum fits on the display shelf above the cabinet. The bigger baskets hold math and phonics manipulatives, as well as our books for morning and afternoon lessons.


The little shelf used to be in Rose's closet, organizing her toys, but it is in such good shape that I decided to move it down here and find inexpensive shelving for her storage. This is Little Monkey's activity center...I'm still putting his little projects together. On the shelves right now is a collection all of the materials he'll be using.. I guess that will be the topic of another post! The puzzles on the bottom shelf will stay (those are his favorites). The basket is holding two little rugs that he will use as a mat for his activities. The empty space under the bulletin boards will (hopefully soon) be filled with either more shelving or a little table (child-size). I just haven't found them yet!


Some fun extra details...




And last, but not least, our little growing collection of  books. I finally have a place to put them!



Best of all, the kids seem to be really excited to have a "special" space for all of their school things & can't wait to get started on their lessons.  Makes a Mama get excited for the school year, too! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...