Thursday, February 10, 2011

promises, and a little more about diligence

Love my husband and children.  Manage my home.  Educate my children.  As I've been reading through the book, Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George, I've been challenged recently to re-evaluate my daily priorities.

I have to laugh at myself a little bit - and maybe some of you mamas can relate - but I have a creative bent to my personality.  And while in many ways that is a useful quality, I also tend to make my life very complicated because of it!  In one week, I can think up more clever ideas and wonderful projects to do, than I could ever actually accomplish in one year.  And my to-do list is a reflection of this!

"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does."  James 1:23

I love Scripture verses that give promises!  I've been thinking quite a lot this week about the goodness and mercy of God.  It amazes me that He doesn't simply give us His law and say, "Obey Me or else," but He really does promise us blessings for following His Word.  And this matter of aligning my to-do list with His priorities for my life has been no exception!

Just to name a few...

I've been blessed... My heart is calm, and my mind is clear!  That is a huge blessing!  I've also had a greater sense of confidence lately, because I know my work is attended to.  And it's been easier for me to be peaceful and gentle....rather than always racing against the clock (and being late for everything), feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.

my home has been blessed....It is peaceful!  It has been more consistently in order and reasonably clean (you still would not want to eat off of my floors - but at least they look clean!).  And it is lovely - because I've been "fluffing" my nest.

my family has been blessed...They are happier, and more peaceful (I think I see a pattern here...).  It is just nice for everyone on the days when they know there is good food to eat, clean clothes to wear (I am embarrassed to have to list that!), and a less-scatterbrained mama to talk to.  

My oldest son said something yesterday that really made all of this sink in for me.  He was sitting off by himself, looking very upset.  When I asked him what was wrong, he said, "I'm worried...that our family is going to change.  I like our family just the way it is - it's perfect!  And I don't ever want it to change."  I laughed and told him not to worry over silly things; that I was glad to know he liked our family so much - because I do, too.  He smiled and said, "Well, of course you do - you are basically the one who makes everything what it is, here at home - you should like it!"  He was trying to be lighthearted, but his words meant so very much to me.

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her..."  Prov. 31:28

There is my reward!  Sometimes this mama needs to take a step back from her world, just for a minute, and realize how many little things she takes for granted...that really are great blessings.  Is it a tiny sacrifice to give up my personal list of things I'd like to accomplish, and my silly little projects and ideas?  Yes, very tiny.   The happiness and well-being of my family and home are more than worth it!  I also know that if I am faithful - diligent -  in the few things the Lord has given me to do now, there might be other seasons in my life when He will bless me with more.  Another promise to look forward to.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him."  Psalm 34:8

related posts:
diligence & priorites
a few resolutions for 2011

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this encouraging post.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!! Thank you for sharing. We really can make our homes a great place to be for our family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing from your son! Great Big Squeezy Hug to him from me :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you've said...

    re-evaluate my daily priorities. I think this is an essential key for me. You've said MUCH truth in this post and you've said it very well. We really could get more done, if we would just take the time to re-evaluate our daily priorities. I've seen the fruits of my labor from doing this in the past and then...

    I get back into that slump of not prioritizing and putting everything else before my home, my husband, my children...

    MY FAMILY.

    I appreciate your blog more than you will ever know. It is women like you Collette that stand out to me as my Titius 2 mentor and I have so much to learn from your giving and loving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, you are so kind for saying this! I think we Mamas must be learning all together...it is an amazing thing that God will use my blog to bless you, meanwhile He's using your blog to inspire ME to be a better Mama!

    I'm grateful this morning for the bloggy-friendships & camaraderie I've found with you ladies!

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a beautiful and thoughtful post, Collette! I so appreciate your willingness to share your heart, as I was really blessed by it.

    I can so relate to your thoughts here. Sometimes I almost wish I didn't long to create things so much, as it can really mess up the schedule. :)

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...