Friday, February 11, 2011

valentine's day dangley-heart decorations

Valentine's Day is coming and it's time to decorate!


The kiddos had a lot of fun putting together these super-easy dangley hearts.  I first saw pics of them in the Kids' Pottery Barn catalog (they were hanging in the background, not for sale); and we decided to make some to hang above our kitchen table.

First, we painted some fun designs on plain paper.



While those were drying, we prepared the colored hearts.  First we cut some red and pink construction paper in half...


Then we stacked the two halves together & folded them down the middle, cutting them into matching hearts.


When the painted paper was dry, we cut that in half (same as the construction paper)...


Stacked them together & folded them in half...we traced the outline of the colored hearts so these cutouts would match, too.



Once they were all cut out, we had four identical hearts in two coordinating papers.


Now for assembling them...we matched up one colored heart and one painted heart back-to-back.


...and glued just the right halves of the two hearts together.  Next we folded the left half of just the red heart over to the right side, like this -


 - and then stacked the second painted heart (this time right side up) on top of that.  Then we glued the these two right-halves together, like an accordion.


After folding the left half of the painted heart over to the right, like before, we laid the last colored heart on top of the stack & glued both sides down flat.


And here is the finished heart!


I used pink and red sewing thread to dangle them from the light, but ribbons or yarn would be pretty, too.



5 comments:

  1. I love htis idea!! How crafty-clever and simple! I think we might do this Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really like the idea of making your own design paper to cut out - even the little guy can do that. I love his look of concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still put up my kids' valentine projects (from long ago!) every year... it makes me smile.
    I bet your kitchen table looks incredibly cheery :>)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! Love is REALLY in the air:)

    Happy Valentines Day to you and yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I'll have to remember them for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...