Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Jesus Tree - an Easter Bible/Unit Study

If this is your first time here, Welcome!  I have recently updated all of my Jesus Tree printables - which includes the correction of a few errors I found in the original Reading List, as well as a new set of Ornaments.  Click here to see the new printables.  Thank you!

Today is the first day of Lent!  I really think this is my favorite time of the year, with so much to look forward to - both springtime and Easter are coming soon!

This year, I found a great little Bible/unit study to do with my children in these weeks before Easter Sunday... to help teach them about our Saviour and His great sacrifice for us, and just to help make Easter more meaningful for us as a family.


You may have heard of the Jesus Tree Devotion before...it is very similar to the Jesse Tree, which is something I like to use with my family before Christmas.  The Jesus Tree is a simple Bible study of the life of Jesus from his boyhood through the Resurrection, with a small Scripture reading for each day of  Lent.  Each reading also has a corresponding symbol/picture which the kids can color & cut out, and place as a leaf on a tree - made of either paper or fabric or any other material.   It really is a great visual aid - especially for the little ones.

this is the kit sold at Leaflet Missal
I originally saw this idea posted by Jessica over on her blog Shower of Roses.  She has put together a felt & fabric Jesus Tree kit & has several generous posts detailing how she made it and how her family uses the devotion, as well as many links to coloring pages that go along with each day's reading.


Even though there are a few sources online for purchasing  fabric and felt Jesus Tree kits, I didn't have time to prepare something like that this year.  So instead, I have quickly put together a list of the readings I've picked out for my family and leaf-pics which are assembled and ready-to-go...  I thought I'd share these last-minute plans, in case you might like to do this, too!

I like to use the Egermeier Bible Story Book for reading to my younger children, so I have coordinated the readings around the stories in this Bible.  The daily readings include both the Scripture passages and the corresponding page numbers from the Egermeier Bible.  I've saved the files as .jpg images - so just click on the photos below & print them from your toolbar/edit button.  Let me know how this works for you in the comments section - I am still figuring out how to go about posting printables!  (Note: I just tried printing them out myself as I described & discovered that the images are being automatically reduced to a 4x6 size.  If you save the images to your computer first & then print from your own  files, you should get 8.5 x 11" images - much easier to read & color the pics when they're bigger!!!)

~ Readings ~



~ Tree-leaf Symbols ~

I'm planning on having my kids color & cut these out, then paste onto construction paper leaves
These are the pics for the first 6 days, enough to get started...I am still compiling the rest & will be posting them the rest of this week as soon as they are ready :)  These all came from the various free coloring pages you can find online for educational purposes.



For our tree...time was running very short & so I just used things I had on hand to quickly put a tree together...in this case, wrapping paper :)  The kids think the polka-dots look fun & Easter-ish, so it will make do :)  If our yard dries out a little, I may have them gather some twigs/small branches to bunch together into a pot & make an indoor mini-tree; we could hang the leaves from ribbon or yarn like ornaments...we'll see!

~ this pic turned out very dark...the tree really does look much cuter in person :) ~



Wishing your family a blessed Lent and Easter season!

For a few more ideas on preparing for Easter, click here to read my post  :)


Linking up this post at:

7 comments:

  1. This is great, Colette, thank you! I like it alot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for posting this on Living Well Wednesdays...I would not have found you otherwise. This is perfect for my family for Easter....I will have ALOT to do to get this going, but I'm going to try. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for posting this!!! I'm totally going to do this with Joel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Collette!

    I just ran across your blog and I'm so thankful I did! I love your ideas for doing creative things with your kids, helping them to learn more about Christ! I'm a Christian momma and artist as well, and I'm always looking for new ideas and inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

    Looking forward to reading more!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally & Jacki - I'm glad this was helpful to you!!

    Holli & Jennifer - it is nice to meet you & I'm glad you stopped by! I just popped over to visit your lovely blogs & I'm looking forward to getting to know you ladies as well :)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had never heard of this before, but I think it's a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for posting about it and for sharing the resources you found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Jesus Tree turned out lovely! I hope you and your family have a very Blessed and Holy Lent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...