Monday, May 9, 2011

Looking for a Book Recommendation

Do you see this boy??



He is :  funny ... kind ... big-hearted ...



... responsible ... an awesome big brother ... 

... and even though he gets tired of smiling for mom's pictures, he humors her anyway (lol!)...




... and he is growing up ... FAST.
 
This mama still thinks of him like this:



: and this :






: and this :



Can you believe how big this boy is getting??  I sure can't!

They weren't kidding when they said my kiddos would grow up in the blink of an eye!

Now, don't get me wrong, this is nothing I'm sad about (I really just wanted a good excuse to post some old pics of him!!) ... because it is EXCITING to be entering a new stage of motherhood - one of :

watching the little man in him unfold as the Lord has created him to be

 having fun together doing all of the things you can do with older kiddos

deeper conversations that keep a mama on her toes

and everything that goes along with those pre-teen years


... But I am wondering ...

When I was a new mother with little babies, I knew I had much to learn ... the wiser, seasoned mamas I know very kindly recommended books that are tried-and-true - and that were so helpful to me.

As I'm beginning this new stage of motherhood ... I am feeling a need to learn and grow a little, once again.

So I have a question for you!
Do any of you Mamas have any helpful Christian books regarding the pre-teen and teenage years that you can recommend??

I'll be very interested to read your comments! :0)

Have a blessed Monday!!

5 comments:

  1. let me try this again! I have not recommendations for you, as my nearing-teenage-child is a girl! But, I wanted to tell you that this was a sweet post! So wonderful to read of your love of your child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Josh is becoming... such a guy! Love the photos. The book that was helpful for me is Age of Opportunity. I just went to find the book to double check the title... but it's not in its usual spot. Hmmmm. Me think the kids hid it?! :) jk! It is amazing to watch the kids' growth and maturity, and I remind myself that I'm "raising my kids to be independently dependent on Jesus". That helps keep things in perspective for me :>) And now, I'm beginning to read another book about having adult children....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet, sweet post.
    But I'm afraid I will be the mama who comes back here to read those recommendations.

    I have none;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finding so many books I wish I had read while raising my older children. I am currently reading Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson. This book is a great book for ALL stages of motherhood. She has loads of wisdom there for raising your children with a heart for God. It is not a "magic" formula with a list of dos and don'ts, but a heartfelt talk with a mama about guiding our children's hearts, regardless of their age. Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp is another book that gives godly wisdom for the various stages of motherhod. Finally, Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris in another book I HIGHLY recommend. The book is written by two teenage brothers who were homeschooled. The sub title is A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations and I think that sums up the book wonderfully. It is a great book to read with preteen and teen children but I think it a wonderful book to read ourselves long before our children reach that age because it changes our mindset on raising your children through those years. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Karen & Lecia, for passing on these titles - this is very helpful!! I'm grateful today for mamas who have "walked the path" of mothering before me :0) Have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...