Saturday, October 8, 2011

"A" is for Apples, Alligators and Abraham


We have s l o w l y been working on our preschool alphabet unit studies over the past several weeks, and finished up our "A" week quite Awhile Ago, Already!   I thought I'd post a few pictures before too much more time passes - otherwise I may never get Around to it :)  Actually our "week" ended up taking the better part of two weeks to complete...but that is okAy - Little Monkey (and his brothers and sister!) (and Mom ;) had A lot of fun!

Since LM is still only 3 this year, my main goal for him is just to have fun while working on basic preschool skills, and giving him his first taste of phonics.  So we are going to take our time going through the alphabet, and may end up taking two ... or three... weeks for each letter.  It will probably depend on how many activities we can think of to do!   

Here are a few highlights from our "A" Week : 

~ Literature ~


other books on my list for the next time around:
Life & Times of the Apple (Charles Micucci)
How to Make an Apple Pie & See the World (Marjorie Priceman)
Alligator Boy (Cynthia Rylant)


~ Phonics ~

We talked a lot about the sounds that "A" makes...

...and then I found this cute worksheet with alligators on it, at this website:

I was mostly looking for something with big letters to color in (and an alligator!), but he turned out to be  interested in the tracing, too...


 ...then we pulled out the playdough for some fun AND...





... AND to practice the idea of making a circle and a stick for the letter "a"...


Of course, Peanut really liked this part of the week, too -



This was Peanut's first time to play with playdough, since I've been saving it just for school time.  I think he liked it!


(Maybe a little too much!)

~ Bible ~

For our Bible lesson, we read about Abraham from Little Monkey's Early Reader's Bible, by V. Gilbert Beers.  I really like this little Bible-story book - each story is just 2 or 3 (small) pages long and wraps up with three or four comprehension questions that are perfect for preschoolers.  He has learned SO much since we began reading this together - and he enjoys it, too.  He says it's his "wittle book all about God."

~ Arts and Crafts ~


For our first project, I found the idea for making this simple paper alligator at the Enchanted Learning website.  We did change a few minor things from the original directions...if you want to see how we made it, you can read my post about it here.

We also made some alligator-clippy magnets for the fridge, another very simple craft!

We just used some springy laundry clips...


 

...and Little Monkey painted away ...


Once the clips were dry, we added a couple googley-eyes to each one...



... along with a stick-on magnet to the bottom of the clip...



.... and that's it!  Alligator fridge magnets.  My kitchen has never been so reptilian as it has been lately, lol!...


~ A-week Recipe ~

Baked Apples!


(I posted the recipe we used here.)

As I said, we are moving s l o w l y through this study....but I believe I should have some pics to post of our "B" week before too long!  ;)

6 comments:

  1. My kids LOVED playing with play dough. I never minded the mess we could make :>) When it dried, it vacuumed up well, even from carpet. Looks like they are having a blast! The crocodile projects are CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! It's funny, but I really don't mind the messes we make, either, especially when it's something (like playdough) that I have as much fun playing with as the kiddos do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all your learning posts...so many creative ideas! I love the little alligator fridge magnets--and I love that your little guy cut off the alligator's leg...so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collette,

    There is just TOO MUCH goodness to even comment on!!!!

    I love your art projects... I have to tell you, I just picked up a bag of cloths pins at Menards the other day. I didn't even need them, but I thought they might come in handy for something.

    Now I know exactly what we will be doing with them, thank you for the inspiration!!!

    And playdoh, we keep that company in business! :-)

    Love Carissa

    PS Just a side comment in response to what you commented on my blog... YES!!!! This weather has been amazing!!!! 10 straight days of glorious sunshine!!! This has been the best october!!! :-) What a beautiful fall we are having, I'm so thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog from the ultimate homeschooling blogroll - LOVE IT! i really love those crafts too, esp. b/c i am very uncrafty and this is helping me with idea lol!! your children are adorable!! I noticed that you like Max Lucado? he is awesome, thanks for the recommendation on that book of is, i try to get most stuff from the library first too, haha. i am now following your blog and cannot wait to explore all the stuff on here! I would love to have you as a follower of my new mommyhood blog too, its www.kwaep.com, we just have a few follower so far and would love to have you! Blessing in the Lord! Have a great Christmas! Petra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Petra! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment! :) I'm glad you were able to find some helpful things from my posts!

    It looks like you have a preschooler?? I'm *hoping* to have time to post more of our preschool units after the 1st of the year; be sure to check back again soon if those are of interest to you.

    I'd be happy to support your new blog :)
    Blessings to you in your homeschooling journey!
    Collette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...