Wednesday, October 12, 2011

pneumonia, chiken soup and laundry liberation

Well....it has been one of those kind of weeks.  Actually, two weeks...

We are hardly into October and already we have had our share of colds, flus, bronchitis and one near-miss with pneumonia.  

Three soccer games, two weekends of church, a few homeschool-group events missed....and one beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon spent in the ER.


It reminds me all over again of why I need to be so careful about what my family is eating...you know: less sugar, more garlic, whole grains, fruits and veggies.  More God-made food, less man-made.  The usual healthy routine.  

I also need to remember to stock up on herbs and vitamins....and have all those home-remedies ready to go.  I had gotten away from all of those things during our busy...and flu-free...summer!



Weeks like these leave me with a lot of laundry to catch up on.  My family of six manages to produce a lot of dirty clothing in short order - nothing unusual, I know!  Never the less, I am amazed, every time, at how fast the piles grow.  I have nothing but complete respect for all those mamas who manage the laundry of families so much larger than mine!

My laundry load count (to be washed) as of yesterday morning : 14.   For me, in the stage of mommyhood and homemaking that I am in right now....that is a lot.  The most we've ever had thus far.

So...

I did something this week that I've never done before.  I've always intended to...but have never actually gotten round to making it happen.  But at last, I did it, and now I am in love :



Thank you, Mom, for all of your advice and encouragement to give this a try!  You were so very right ;)



Some things I've learned this week about line-drying your laundry....

It is possible to do a lot of laundry in two days of good weather.


I had no idea how incredibly  f r e s h  everything would smell!  (Or that bees seem to like the smell, too!)



That it would be so beautiful.  I don't think my yard has ever seemed so lovely.  Don't ask me why...I can't tell you.  It just is.



And it's peaceful.  Quiet.  How did the labor of doing all this laundry end up being so therapeutic for my soul?  Again, I can't tell you, and it really doesn't make sense.  But it did.


My children thought so, too!  They have never been so anxious to help out with this task!


 
(Well...the older three were.  Peanut was happy to play in the sandbox!)


Why oh why did I wait until what are probably our last few warm days of fall to try this??  


I am liberated.  I don't think I will ever again allow my laundry to intimidate me...next time the piles loom large...I might even welcome the work. :)

8 comments:

  1. Dear Collette~

    What a beautiful post! I'm so sorry to hear you've been sick, especially having to go to the ER. We've had several colds so far already, too. I was so thankful that my husband and I escaped the first two, but this last one we also got, and it hasn't been fun!

    Love your laundry line. The house we moved into almost a year ago did not come with a clothesline, and I have so missed having one. I keep hoping one day my husband will be able to put one up in the yard. I never would have thought to string one on the back deck--what a great idea!

    I hope you're all doing well now. I also love your new blog header and background...very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collette,
    I have always loved loved hanging clothes on a clothes line. You're right - they smell so fresh. :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Joy!! My kids all much better, now...although I am still waiting to see if my husband or I will catch this flu (the reason for my rush on catching up with the laundry, lol!)

    I'm sorry to hear that your family has been sick, too. I'm really hoping that all of these colds/flus are just going around earlier than usual...and we will all enjoy a healthy fall/holiday season!

    LOL, the line across the deck worked very nicely for all of the "little" clothes. I'm hoping to find a good place for a line higher-up, now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that your family has been sick. Hopefully you all on the mend by now. A trip to the er is always scary.

    I too forget and get away from eating healthy sometimes, usually during the summer months when everybody is healthy and fall/winter germs are not being passed around. I too need to reevaluate some things around here... it is so easy to get off track.

    Thanks for the reminder... I will be checking my cupboard and making sure that I am prepared for what is inevitable. ;-(

    And line drying, good for you!!!! your precious pictures just made me smile. So sweet to see your littles wanting to help, or wanting to just be near you and enjoying the moment!!

    Happy that your happy!!
    Love carissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your family feels better soon!
    Sounds like you got caught up on your wash!
    Prayers coming your way!!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa - it's kind of funny, because I've read many times about how fresh the scent is....but I really had no idea HOW FRESH "fresh" would be, lol! They still smell fresh, even after sitting in drawers several days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carissa - thank you!! We are all much better, at last :) Hopefully your family won't be needing those remedies anytime soon!

    Every fall I remember how much we need to watch what we're eating, especially the sugar and white flour....and then Christmas comes, lol! I'm hoping to find some good whole-grain and honey type holiday recipes before the baking begins this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kim! I am grateful for your prayers :) It's nice to meet you...heading over to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...