Sunday, October 30, 2011

Soothing, Healing Ginger Tea

This recipe is a favorite of mine. I've been getting my "medicine chest" ready for the cold and flu season by stocking up on my favorite home-remedies.  There is something reassuring, as a Mama, about knowing what I can do to comfort and nourish my family when they are sick.  Not only to help them feel better, but to help heal them as well.  When one of us is under the weather, the first thing I do is wrap them up in a blanket on the couch and give them a cup of soothing ginger tea.

Fresh ginger is full of wonderful properties that are able to help soothe colds and flus, upset stomachs, or even just to warm you up if you are like me and tend to be cold all the time.  The tea is very easy to make, and the ingredients can be kept on-hand in the fridge and pantry for those days when we're not feeling well...or for a warm, relaxing cup before bedtime.


If you are not familiar with fresh ginger, this is what it looks like.  I find mine at Jewel in the produce case by the specialty items.

~ Recipe for Soothing Ginger Tea ~
(here's a downloadable recipe to print)

Ingredients:


Fresh ginger
Raw honey
1/2 lemon
boiling water


Put about 2 cups of water on the stove to boil.  Meanwhile, peel and grate a piece of ginger about 1" long...about this much:

I just use a knife to scrape off the paper-thin skin. Place the ginger pulp into a jar along with about 3 tablespoons of honey and the juice from 1/2 of a lemon.  I like to use raw honey because it has the benefit of being able to soothe sore throats and boost immunity, among other things.  Processed honey looses all of those properties.


 
Pour boiling water into the jar & cover.  (I just use a small plate to cover it up.)  Let it stand for about 20 minutes.


Before pouring the tea into your cup, it tastes best to strain it and remove the pulp.  Although, if I'm in a rush I sometimes skip this step and just pour it carefully, or use a spoon to hold back the pulp while I'm pouring.  I don't have a fine-mesh strainer, so I use a small piece of cheesecloth (which I also find at Jewel, in the aisle with all of the baking/cooking supplies) and a rubber band, like this:




And that's all!  Relax, sip and enjoy.




linking up at

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...