Monday, November 21, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Times Two {Whole Wheat or Gluten Free}

We've been having a lot of fun in the kitchen over the past couple weeks!  Now that everything is in order and organized (a post is coming soon about that!), I've been able to roll up my sleeves and get to work testing some new recipes for this year's Christmas baking.


For several years, I've been taking small steps toward cooking and baking more healthfully, using whole, unrefined and raw foods.  Also, we've recently had some issues come up in our family with food allergies/intolerances.  So, I've been having some fun spending some time on converting our favorite Christmas recipes to accommodate these things. ;)

Yesterday we baked these cookies for a homeschool potluck meeting, and they were a hit with all of my kiddos (and Hubby, too - the ultimate test!)...I think we will make them our official Chocolate Chip Cookie for this Christmas season.  I love this recipe because it uses coconut oil or melted butter....and it all mixes up in one bowl.  No mixer needed = easy cleanup and easy for the kids to do!

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
(printable recipe is here)

1 cup coconut oil or melted butter
1 1/2 cups cane sugar or sucanat
2 eggs
1 tsp. molasses (omit if using sucanat)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix oil (or melted butter) and sugar (sucanat).  Add eggs & stir well.  Mix in molasses, baking soda and vanilla.  Stir in the flour until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Drop by teaspoonfull onto cookie sheets.  Bake for 12-14 minutes. (I found that they hold together nicely if you let them cool on the cookie sheets a few minutes before removing to a rack.)

....................................................................

And here is our gluten-free version.  I just used the flours that I have on hand right now....I think they worked out pretty well!

Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
(printable recipe is here)

1 cup coconut oil or melted butter
1 1/4 cup cane sugar or sucanat
2 eggs
2 tsp. molasses
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
3/4 cups potato flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.  Mix melted butter and sugar (sucanat).  Add eggs and stir well.  Add molasses, salt, baking soda, vanilla and cinnamon.  Stir in the flours and almond meal until combined.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Drop by small teasponfulls onto cookie sheets.  Bake for 12-14 minutes.  Let cool on cookie sheet, then remove to a rack.

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. The photo looks good enough to eat! It's fun baking with the kids. Sometimes a little messy, though.... Once when we were decorating some Christmas cookies, round sprinkles rolled all the way to the front door in the wood floor grooves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure these are delicious! My recipe is very similar. I'm trying out some gluten-free recipes using almond flour right now! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...