Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cold Morning Comfort

 


It is beginning to look like a 'real' fall day in Chicago, today....dark gray skies, light steady rain, howling wind! 


It's a good morning to turn on all the lights...find our slippers...and settle in for a warm day at home.



I finally clipped the last set of rosebuds that have been ruggedly hanging in there through several frosty mornings and a few windy days.  I think their time has come.

Oatmeal was for breakfast...something comforting on a cold dreary morning like this one!


Its warm, buttery goodness brings me right back to my childhood days.  Mom always served this with the promise that "it will warm you up and stick to your ribs."  She was right!  And now that's what I say to my own kiddos as I give them their bowls.


Some yummy ways to spice it up :: chopped apples, blueberries, raisins, other dried fruits, cinnamon, nutmeg, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup, a little milk or cream


A little thought to warm the heart, too...

Preserve me, O God, I take refuge in you.  
I say to You, Lord: "You are my God.  
My happiness lies in You alone."

O Lord, it is You who are my portion and cup, 
it is You Yourself who are my prize.  
The lot marked out for me is my delight, 
welcome indeed is the heritage that falls to me!

I will bless You, Lord, You give me counsel, 
and even at night You direct my heart.
I keep You, Lord, ever in my sight;
since You are at my right hand, I shall stand firm.

~ taken from Psalm 16 ~



Have a warm and blessed Thursday!

8 comments:

  1. I felt cozy while reading this post... I could almost taste the cinnamon in the oatmeal!!! :-)

    This little quote came to mind while reading your post today.

    "Autumn days invite one to go apple-picking under stark blue skies, plant next year's bulbs, unpack the comforters and quilts." ~Diane Ackerman

    Glad you are staying toasty on this dreary yet yummy day!

    I enjoy your blog so much! :-)
    Love Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are very comforting and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Carissa! I love all the poems and quotes you have been posting lately. LOL, you're right, this one is very fitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to meet you, Plain & Joyful Living - thanks for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I've missed some good posts:)
    love your sweet new look here!
    ;)
    what a comforting and sweet post today. makes me want to cuddle up and read a story!

    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always look forward to seeing your posts! I enjoy autumn so much... crisp air and snug, warm sweaters, comfort food... you capture it so well. Thanks for the Bible passage. What version was that; it was well put!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen - I really liked this version of the psalm, too! It came from a prayer/devotion book, & I'm pretty sure it was re-written by the author, since I couldn't find any mention of a version used.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...