Thursday, November 10, 2011

Restoring Order in my Home


"The younger women (should) be...busy at home."  Titus 2:5
 
Springtime is usually the season that gets me thinking about cleaning and decluttering my home, but I must confess.  My closets and cupboards have been long-neglected.  Too long!  Over the past few years, my days have blissfully been filled with babies and toddlers (and not so much with organizing!).... and so my home's hidden places are in need of a little TLC.



There's something about having "a place for everything and everything in its place" that brings rest to the heart.  When things are in order, I feel much calmer and more peaceful.  Not to mention how much easier it is to go about our daily tasks when we know where everything is that we need. 

For me, a peaceful heart equals contentment to be in my home.  Where my heart needs to be.



"I desire that the younger women...guide the house." 
1 Timothy 5:14 (KJV)


There's also a simplicity of mind that exists when a home's clutter is removed, and only the essentials are left.  We really don't buy new things very often, but it doesn't take long for what I like to call "RBG" (Random Bits of Garbage) to collect in our drawers, on shelves, in closets.  The stuff that "might be useful" someday and that we hate to throw away, but really doesn't serve a purpose for very long (if ever).  We also love garage sale-ing....and I end up with miscellaneous odds-and-ends that just didn't fit into our home the way one of us thought it would. 

And for me, an uncluttered house equals an uncluttered mind.




SO.  Before the holidays arrive with all of the lovely decorations, fun projects, and new gifts and things to find places for...I'll be doing a little "fall cleaning," room by room, to restore order and peace to our place.  I figure this is a good season for making donations of toys, clothing or other items to charities or families in need.  Something I am looking forward to doing together with my children as a little pre-holiday project.

I'll update in a few days on our progress...if this is something you are doing before the holidays, too - leave a comment and/or your link and we'll all encourage each other!  :)



Blessings,

8 comments:

  1. oh, cute shoe photo! So funny... I just came up from the basement to take a break from organizing! Whew, talk about neglect! I know I'll enjoy the orderliness when I'm done, but getting through dust bunnies and clutter first is challenging :>) So, thanks for your very timely encouragement!
    p.s. I'm thinking of spray painting the joists/ceiling to brighten things up. Then I'd like to repaint the floor....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing the very same thing, Collette! I've been packing up so much to give away, and it is such a good feeling. I feel such a peaceful feeling when there is a bit of margin--enough room in the closets, in drawers, in cupboards to actually put things away properly.

    P.S. LOVE your shoes and socks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Karen, you are a few steps ahead of me! Hoping to tackle my basement's dust bunnies (and spiders, shiver) next week...I agree it IS such a good feeling once that work is done!!

    I love your idea of painting the ceilings and joists! And your floor...what colors are you thinking of? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, you said that so well...margin. That is exactly what I am aiming for!

    I think the act of giving things away helps foster the thankfulness of this season, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so refreshing to re-organize, to declutter!!! And the benefit from it, to stand back and look at it all is very rewarding, physically and mentally.

    I'm joining you in a decontaminating kind of way!!! LOL removing tissues and sanitizing everything. :-)

    Keep up the good work!! Tell us about when your done if you have time... it is always inspiring.

    Love the verses and your way with words in this post!!! refreshing!

    Have a good day.
    Love Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm *all* about the fall cleaning!

    Generally I like to have gone though all the dresers/closets by now and on the Feast of St. Martin I like to donate my items to a thrift store or other place that can use them. After that I tackle the rest of the place and if all goes well (HA!) things are nice and orderly by the start of Advent.

    BTW, I'm so going to use the line RBG! LOL!! Love it.

    Blessings,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your encouragement, Carissa! LOL, I always think the post-flu house-decontamination leaves a satisfying feeling, too! I sure hope you guys are feeling better soon! Sending prayers your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica, I'm so glad you stopped by! It's funny because I had in mind to celebrate the feast of St. Martin this year w/my kids (we haven't learned about him, yet)...but we were busy cleaning :) I will definitely keep that tip in mind for next year! Hope the cleaning and Advent planning goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...