Monday, November 7, 2011

Simmering Spices


Here's a simple little way to bring some coziness into your home on a chilly day...make a pot of  "simmering spices."

Put a small pot of water on the stove and bring it to a simmer...then toss in a handful of your favorite spices.  In no time at all, your house will be filled with a gentle, warm aroma.  No chemicals or artificial smells.  Just yummyness.


Throughout the day I watch the water level in my pot, adding more as it simmers down.  I also turn off the flame when I leave the kitchen; but as long as the spices and water stay warm, it continues to scent the air.  A small crock-pot would probably work really well, too.

Some ingredients to try...cinnamon (ground or in sticks), cloves (whole or ground), nutmeg, allspice, grated citrus peels, chopped apples or other fruit, coconut cooking oil, true extracts (not artificial)...there are so many possibilities and combinations!


Cloves and lemons are two of my favorites, because their oils have antiseptic and cleansing properties.  Besides smelling wonderful, they help purify the air.  Something I especially like when my family is passing around a cold or the flu.

This is also a great way to use up any spices from the back of your cupboard that might be too old to use for cooking :)



Have a cozy Monday!



linking up at

4 comments:

  1. Today needs coziness! The aromas are terrific... until my guys come home, breathe deeply to savor the aroma, then assume I'm baking something delicious for them, but I'm not. (giggle) But I agree. A wonderfully scented home is welcoming. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, too funny! I guess that could be one downside to a simmering potpourri!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often have a pot of water simmering on the stove during the winter months to add some moisture to the air and sometimes I will add orange or cloves. It's wonderful! I'll have to try some of your other suggestions as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be trying this today, Collette. Thanks! :)
    Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...