Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Cookies

In the hustle and bustle of getting everything ready for Christmas last week, I started to write up this post about baking cookies....and didn't have time to finish!  But since we really begin celebrating Christmas on the 25th - and continue on for the twelve days after! - I thought I'd save some of my posts for this week, while we're enjoying the Christmas "season."

:: My Little Bakers ::
(Peanut was too busy napping to help out this time)




I found a couple last minute, super-easy, kiddo-friendly recipes for my sweeties to put together.


 AND they are no-bake recipes.  So we could taste them as we went...so far, so good!


Yum!

Turtle Candy (a Christmas surprise for Dad from General)


This couldn't be easier!  First we toasted pecan halves in the oven for 5 minutes, then arranged them on some waxed paper like this ::


Next, General melted a bag of caramel candies in the microwave, then drizzled a spoonful over each cluster.


Last step - chocolate chips melted up in the microwave & drizzled over the caramel.  Then into the fridge to set.  And that's it!


These turned out delicious, and being so easy for General to make by himself I think we'll keep this recipe in "The Book" for next year.  Although, the caramel candy did end up being very chewy....so I think we may still experiment with other varieties of caramel next time!



Peanut Butter Pretzel Cookies

These were a HIT with everyone!  We finished eating them up by the end of Christmas Day....and are planning to make another batch tonight or tomorrow, for New Year's Eve.  I am not usually a big fan of peanut butter, but I have to say - these might be my favorite new cookie!

I found the recipe at What Megan's Making (cute blog!).

:: Ingredients ::

1 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Pretzels
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

We mixed the first three ingredients together in the blender.  I did add quite a bit of extra powdered sugar (as recommended in the original recipe) until the mixture was stiff enough to roll...



Rose and Little Monkey rolled the peanut butter mixture into small balls & placed them on waxed paper....



There was lots of finger-lickin!


I did keep this particular batch just for us at home ;)


Then we sandwiched each one between two pretzels, and dipped one side of each cookie into melted chocolate (which Rose was able to melt by herself, using the microwave).


Then into the freezer they went, to set up extra-fast....and we discovered we like them even better frozen - it makes them just a little crunchy.  Yum!



5 comments:

  1. Precious, Precious children!!! So happy to see the celebration!!! And those recipes look heavenly!!! Looks like such a sweet time together (no pun intended). :-)

    Love Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sure looks like you all are having so much Christmas fun! Your recipes look delicious AND easy to put together... my kind of recipe :>) yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a productive little assembly line you have.

    seeing these photos.
    reading these things...

    confirms for me that I'm so thankful we mamas have answered this humble call to be home and spend the time.
    to make the time.
    to make the memories.
    don't you agree?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...being a mama is an ART:)

    Happy New Year friend!!!

    I've enjoyed getting to know you this past year and have cherished each moment of your family you share here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, thank you all! :) I"ve noticed in general that there is just something about having fun in the kitchen together, that makes kiddos' smiles a little bigger than usual!

    These are some of my favorite times, for sure!

    Amanda....I couldn't agree with you more, dear friend! A humble call it is....and yet, the most blessed too!

    Have a Wonderful New Year!!
    ♥Collette

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...