Monday, December 19, 2011

Kris Kringles

A simple Advent activity...thought I'd share it with you, in case you might be looking for a little something to do at the last minute.  It's one of my favorites, especially during this last week before Christmas, when my kiddos are all getting .. very .. excited  about Christmas coming!  Here's how it goes.

Everyone's name goes into a jar...even Peanut's (no one is too little to take part!).



Then everyone chooses a paper.  (Little ones always need some help from Mom or Dad!) 

Throughout this week as we get everything ready for Christmas, we each have to find secret ways of serving or giving kindness to our special person.  At least one little surprise each day.  Could be any little thing...but the trick is to make sure your person doesn't know who it's from.

Then on Christmas morning, everyone tries to guess who their "Kris Kringle" is...and waits to see if their secret favors were figured out by their person.  My kiddos always look forward to guessing time!

I love this little game, because it helps keep the children's focus off of the presents and the candy (at least, a little bit!) and helps keep everyone's attitude joyful and thoughtful.  It also teaches them to love.
"Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed You or thirsty and give You drink?  When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?..."
"...Assuredly, I say unto you, inasmuch as you did it to the least of my bretheren, you did it unto Me."  Matthew 25:37-40
They're learning that each kindness offered to their brother or sister (or Mom or Dad) is like offering it right to Jesus. 


Of course, a clever Mama can figure out who everybody picked ;)  It's better if I know...this way I can offer little nudges when needed.

... the Kris Kringle list so far ...

a cup of coffee served to an unsuspecting Daddy

one cookie given up at snack time to a hungry little brother

a letter painstakingly typed & printed out (so their handwriting won't be recognized) telling "someone" they'll be prayed for each day this week (right now it's hiding under their pillow, waiting to be found...)

two stories read

and

a big sister quietly crocheting on Mom's bed to keep a weepy little brother company while he has his quiet time.

Little hearts prepare to receive their King. :)

A Mama's heart gathers treasure to store up and ponder.

Blessings!

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...