Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pondering

We sang this familiar old Christmas carol in church a few weeks ago.  I'd heard this song so many times before, but I never truly "listened" to the words of all the verses.  Until that Sunday....it misted me up a bit & now I'm still pondering these beautiful words...



What child is this, who laid to rest
On Mary's lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds' watch are keeping?

This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing.
Haste!  Haste to bring him laude,
The Babe, the son of Mary.

Why lies He in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christians fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.

Nails, spear shall pierce Him through,
The cross he borne, for me and you.
Hail!  Hail, the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the son of Mary.

So bring Him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come peasant, king to own Him.
The king of kings, salvation brings,
Let loving hearts enthrone Him!

Raise, raise a song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby!
Joy, joy for Christ is born,
The Babe, the son of Mary.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful... We have one Christian radio station here where I live that is still playing Christmas music non stop!!! This is one that they played today!!! I love reading the words to a song, sometimes we get caught up in the tune and don't even realize what we are singing.

    Thanks for posting them!! :-)
    Beautiful picture too!

    Love Carissa
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song and can't sing it without tearing up. Sadly, I haven't heard it this year.. thanks for posting it.

    Blessings to you!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...