Friday, December 9, 2011

Some Gingerbread Fun

Even though there was quite a bit of coughing and sniffling earlier this week, my kiddos were still able to find a little energy for decorating a gingerbread house.  It sure was nice to see them smiling again!


I had hoped to make our own gingerbread from scratch...but since we're running a little short on time these days, I bought a kit from the grocery store instead.  I was a little worried about giving them all the frosting and candy, since I'd rather they not eat the sugar (especially while they're sick)...but they decided on their own not to eat any & save everything to show Daddy when he got home later. 



This was the first year that they didn't need my help at all!  General found the instructions and took charge of the project (very much in the way a General would do, lol!), and Rose diplomatically made many suggestions as to how they should arrange things, to make it look the prettiest.  Little Monkey was just very happy to do anything they said! 


It was so much fun to just stand back and watch them all figure everything out together (and take lots of pics!).  BUT....it also made me realize how much my (older) babies have grown!  A wonderful and sentimental Mama-moment all at the same time.  Mostly wonderful ;)


We all agreed it worked out much better, anyway, to have Mom taking pictures while the house was being built, instead of waiting until afterward.  We don't have any pics from years past, because our Dog has always managed to eat the house first, lol!  General and Rose even considered offering the house to him as soon as we were done, since this seems to be our little tradition.  BUT we figured we'd rather save it for Daddy to see. :)




3 comments:

  1. What an adorable gingerbread house! I always have used graham crackers for our gingerbread houses...like you I keep thinking "someday" about a house made from scratch! The kids don't care, though. They just like eating all the candy and decorating their houses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Offering it to the dog because it's tradition that he eats it anyway..... that's hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your children's journey of putting together a house. That is gorgeous ! Hope it tastes as good as it looks :)
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...