Monday, January 16, 2012

A Preschool Update & Blueberry Crisp

This week in school, things are going to be busy as we're getting all of our unit studies back up-and-running.  In the beginning of the school year, I started putting together little preschool units for Little Monkey, themed around one letter each week.  We finished letter "A" and started working on letter "B"..... but with so much going on during the fall soccer season, lots of field trips and outings while the weather was still nice, and then the holidays coming up right afterward...I decided to put those units on the back burner until after the New Year.  Everything just takes so much time to plan, lol!

Sure enough, Little Monkey has been asking to do more of his "special school," so I pulled out my folder of notes again, over the weekend, and planned out a few more letters units for him.  Honestly, I'm so glad I did, because preschool really is one of my absolute-favorite parts of homeschooling!

So we are re-visiting the letter "B" this week.  There are so many wonderful books and activities for this letter, I had a hard time choosing which ones to do with Little Monkey, last time around!  This way, I guess we'll get to do a few more of them. ;)

Today we read Blueberries from Sal and made some Blueberry Crisp, yum.  The recipe turned out to be simple enough for Little Monkey to do (almost!) all by himself, and it turned out delicious!

Blueberry Crisp
(from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)





Ingredients:


5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
2 to 4 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

First, you put your fruit into a two-quart baking dish.  Our berries were frozen, so we warmed them up for 45 seconds in the microwave...and they were completely thawed by the time they went into the oven.



Next you add your sugar on top of the berries...and stir....then set aside for later.



In a mixing bowl, add your oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon...





...and stir some more....



Then cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  I wasn't sure if Little Monkey would be able to work the pastry cutter, but he loved this part!



Sprinkle your mixture over your berries...



...and then it's ready to bake!  375-F for 30-35 min (40 if you used frozen berries).


It was delicious all by itself, but we served it warm over some ice cream with a little whipped cream on top, to make it a special "B" week treat.  Tomorrow we're reading Going on a Bear Hunt, and making a paper Bear hand puppet....I Believe it's going to Be lots of fun!  I'm hoping to post pics all of our B week activities, all in one post at the end of the week (like I did for A week)....if all goes as planned! :)

Have a Beautiful Day!

2 comments:

  1. Sometime in late May or early June we love going blueberry picking at a local farm and reading Blueberries for Sal that morning. One year we used metal pails for a sound effect. Then we have fun baking with them. I'm adding your recipe to our list ; )

    Enjoy Going on A Bear Hunt we always do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blueberry crisp is one of THE top favorite desserts at our home... looks like Little Monkey is quite the Baker. We also loved reading Going On A Bear Hunt... but then, in the Wisconsin northern woods for vacation the kids didn't want to go for a hike!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...