Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ham in a Pot

This week I'm experimenting to see how many meals I can make out of one ten-pound ham.  My growing family has definitely turned a new corner in the amount of food we consume!  I find myself needing to double all of my usual recipes, all of a sudden.....and with very few leftovers to show for it!  So I'm testing out the good-old time-worn strategy of buying large cuts of meat when they're on sale....and stretching them through the week as well as I can.


So far, so good ;)

My entire family is very excited about this....even little Peanut, who absolutely refuses to say most words (especially Mama.....his affectionate name for me is "Bop" which is what he also calls his bottle, lol!), will very enthusiastically say "aaahhhmmm" when he knows there's some cooking!

He just about gave a standing ovation in his highchair on Monday night, when we sat down for dinner and there was "aaaahhhhmmm" on the table - yes, standing and clapping and cheering!  Makes a Mama very happy, for sure!

But I am digressing :)

Did you know you can prepare a ham in a pot on top of the stove??

This was news to me!  (I've always just roasted them.)

A few weeks back, my wonderful Mom and Dad came for a visit....bringing a shank of ham and other yummy fixin's for dinner!  I watched as my Mom placed the ham into my stockpot, added some veggies and herbs, and then let it simmer away while we spent the afternoon sipping tea and catching up.  I can't tell you how amazing my house smelled....like a restaurant, a really good restaurant.  Really...I had no idea a simmering ham could smell so yummy!



When it was time for dinner, she pulled it out of the pot and sliced it up - it was soft as butter.  And it tasted buttery, too (A wondering Hubby asked on Monday, when I served this again, "how much butter" was in the recipe...and was surprised to hear me say, none at all! :)

BEST of all, after the leftovers were put away, I already had a whole stockpot full of delicious broth, ready-to-go, for making soup another night of the week.

Next time you have a ham to cook, consider giving this method a try!  I don't think I'll ever roast another one, ever again.

~ Ham in a Pot ~

(click here for a printable copy)

1 (8-10 lb.) ham
enough water to cover the ham
2 tsp thyme
3 bay leaves
8 whole cloves
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
2 stalks celery and leaves, chopped

1.  Put it all in a very big pot and let it simmer for 3 hours.
(If you buy a large ham like I did, you may need to cut it a bit, to fit your pot.  Mine had a large bone, so I used a serrated bread knife to slice through it near the tip where the bone is thinner, and it only took a minute...)
2.  Enjoy the wonderful aroma.
3. Remove the ham from the pot, and let stand 5-10 minutes, covered loosely with foil.  Slice the meat, serving with a little broth spooned over the top for extra juiciness.
4. That's it!

If you like gravy, strain out some broth & simmer it in a small saucepan with a few tablespoons of flour whisked in, until it thickens.  Maybe add some salt, if it needs it.

Be sure to save your broth in the fridge or freezer for another meal!

I'll be posting a few more ham recipes as I use up our leftovers this week...on the menu tonight is soup that isn't of the split-pea variety.  Stay tuned, I'll let you know how it turns out!  :)

Have a blessed Wednesday!
~ Linking Up ~
Women Living Well
Raising Homemakers
Growing Home
Titus2Tuesdays

3 comments:

  1. Never heard of 'ham in a pot' =)
    Having the yummy broth afterward is quite the bonus.
    I blogged something very similar a year or two ago ...about the various dinners we had from a very large ham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, it's *almost* like cooking two meals at once....although there's still a little prep work to be done for the soup :) AND I'm thinking I could still make yet another pot of stock at the end of the week using the ham-bone... Thanks for the tip - I will stop by to check out your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss seeing this post? Sounds soooo good. I'll have to "track me down a ham".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...