Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Preparing for Easter ~ Our Jesus Tree

Outside my window, everything is cold and white as fluffy snowflakes slowly settle on the ground.  It sure doesn't look like Spring is in any hurry to arrive, yet I know it's only a matter of a few weeks before things will begin to look green and colorful again!


Which means that Easter will be here before long, too.

This Sunday marks the first Sunday of Lent, my favorite season of the Christian year.  In the same way that Advent comes before Christmas, as a season to prepare our hearts for the birth of our Savior....so also, the season of Lent prepares our hearts and minds for the celebration of Easter.  Which is, to my way of thinking, the most special and beautiful of all the holidays!

(I wrote a little more about Lent and what it means to our family in this post last year....if you're curious!)


So, beginning this Sunday, my family will be keeping the season with a few simple activities to help focus our hearts and minds on Jesus, and on the beautiful sacrifice He was, for us, at Calvary.

And, of course, I'll be sharing them here in case anyone else might be looking for some ideas, too :)

The first - and my favorite - Lenten activity is the Jesus Tree Bible Study, which we began using last year.  If you remember our Jesse Tree from Advent, this devotion is very much along the same lines!  During each day of Lent, we read a story from the book of John - studying Jesus' life and ministry on earth.  And then an ornament is hung on our "Jesus Tree" symbolizing each story.

There are many beautiful kits you can buy to make a Jesus Tree, but last year I ended up putting together (at the last minute!) some very simple pictures for my children to color (using the free coloring pages you can find online).  That worked out pretty well, so we will continue using our homemade version again this year.  I have also been working on drawing a new set of ornaments, which I was hoping to have ready by now to share with you.....but they are still a work-in-progress :)  If I can get them printer-ready before the weekend, I will post them.

My printables from last year are posted here.

Does your family observe Lent, or have any other ways of preparing for Easter?  I'd love to hear what you have planned!

Blessings,

5 comments:

  1. Oh Collette thank you so much :) I was just sitting here wondering what I could do with Sir N for Lent as we have never celebrated Lent before. You have made my day and week. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chareen, I'm so glad you can use these! I'm really hoping to post the new ornaments this week, so stay tuned... :) Have a blessed Lent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good way to keep our hearts and mind on our Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the focus that this brings for not only the children, but also us as parents into this special season of Jesus' death and that He is now risen again.

    Great project!!! I do believe we will be following along with you on this project this year. THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting about it. (and the printables)

    Such a special time of year!!! Thank you for the idea.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a blessing it is to stumble onto your blog and your Lent/ Easter printables today!! Thank SO SO much for sharing your resources with the rest of the world. We are excited to do the Jesus tree for Lent this year with our 2.5 year old. Thanks again! Many blessings to you :) -Shannon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...