Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade Doggie Treats {a D-Week recipe}

The past couple weeks have been all about the letter "D" around here!  And since we have a Doggie named Duke, of course we had to spend some time during this unit learning all about our furry friend. :)



It was also the perfect time to try a recipe for making Homemade Doggie Treats, something I've been wanting to do for awhile.  These definitely cost a lot less than anything I've found at the store....and they are so easy to make!


I found the original recipe here.

But.....we really didn't stick to the measurements at all.

Here's our version:

~ Duke's Doggie Cookies ~
``````````````````````````````````````
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup (or so) of peanut butter

Mix all of the ingredients together.  Roll into walnut-sized balls and press flat on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 300 F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
........................................................



Honestly, I think measuring might be completely optional for this one!  These two sweet boys of mine are starting to get pretty comfy in the kitchen, now that they have a few Alphabet recipes under their belts.

And this time, they both jumped right in and started scooping and pouring and stirring.....and throwing..... a little bit faster than Mama could manage, especially with a camera in one hand. ;)


That, and they were making me laugh so hard....




Hello?  Anybody there??  :)


I truly don't know how much peanut butter actually went into the bowl.  Little Monkey said something like, "Duke wikes wots and wots of peanut butter," and kept scooping it in.  Meanwhile, Peanut was working really hard at scooping it back out of the bowl for a taste...



I think this is just how things go when you're cooking with Boys.



It was right about this time....as some dough was suddenly whizzing past my head....that I figured I should probably stop laughing and restore some order to our little project.  This is supposed to be "school," after all...right??



Fortunately, Duke is not a picky eater :) and doesn't seem to care about the shape of his cookies one little bit.  And since this really was so very simple (silly boys and all!)...these will definitely be a new staple in my pantry!


Wishing you a beautiful Wednesday, filled with the simple joys of just being home.

Blessings,


:: Linked Up ::
Women Living Well

3 comments:

  1. You guys make me laugh! What fun :>) Oh, and tell Jenna I Dig her sweater! p.s. I'm not able to enjoy the "simple joy of being home" today. I'm off to the Dreaded Dentist for some Drilling. (I guess I'll let that be my contribution for D Week.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet, sweet pictures, wow,
    you captured some great memories!!!! I'll have to try your dog treat recipe. I have one that I use around Daisy Dog's bday, but yours sounds like it might be easier. :-)

    have a wonderful week.
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, you are a brave mama. Maybe regaining control with two boys is alot easier than four, maybe ; ). My island, which looks very much like yours, would be absolutely white and covered in peanut butter by the time we are done :O :O I admit I still like to have them occasionaly bake and with a new puppy in the house, doggie treats will be nice :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...