Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy Homemade Doughnuts

It's been awhile since I've posted about our Alphabet Time unit studies!  We're still moving slowly through all our little projects...just enjoying the process.  Since Little Monkey has one more year of preschool ahead of him, I don't want to rush through these units....we have plenty of time to keep things fun. :)





For the letter "D" we read all about Doggies and Doughnuts.....including the very cute story, If You Give a Dog a Donut.  After that, we all agreed we should give some homemade doughnuts a try for our "D" recipe!  It turned out to be surprisingly easy....and yummy.






This recipe is a combination of several I found online, and from an old cookbook of mine....I adjusted it a bit to fit what I had on-hand in my cupboards.  My kids all loved them . . . so did my Hubby!  And they couldn't have been simpler to make.  Without little helpers or a camera ;) I figure they could be ready in about 15 minutes.





A frugal, yummy, quick, not-too-sugary, homemade snack.





Easy Homemade Doughnuts


2 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

oil
powdered sugar


Stir the vinegar into the milk and let stand for a few minutes until thick.


In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.  In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Gradually add to the sugar mixture, alternating with the vinegar-milk.  Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and roll to 1/3 inch thickness.  Cut into doughnuts using a doughnut cutter (or into mini-donuts with a biscuit cutter.)  Let stand for about 10 minutes.


Heat enough oil in a large, deep skillet to cover the doughnuts.  Heat to 375 degrees F.**  Add doughnuts in a single layer and fry until golden, turning over once.  Do not crowd the pan; add more oil to the pan as needed.  Drain the doughnuts on paper towels and dust with powdered sugar while they are warm.  Serve immediately.


***I didn't use a thermometer;  I used a medium to medium-high flame & added the doughnuts when the oil was hot enough for a drop of water to sizzle in it....it seemed to work out just fine. :)



There's a lot to post this week, to catch up on our "D-Time" theme....
I'll be back later with a couple crafts, including one very fun, homemade toy. :)

Enjoy your day!
Blessings,



..... sharing at .....
Growing Home
Women Living Well

3 comments:

  1. nom nom nom...DDDD-elicious work, folks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deeeeelectable! p.s. Please tell General to stop looking so grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! those look great

    carly @ ryandcar.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...