Thursday, April 12, 2012

Good Friday :: Crown of Thorns Centerpiece


This spring, I've been working on building up my (very small!) collection of Lent and Easter decorations.  I saw the idea for this centerpiece posted over at Shower of Roses, and thought it would be a lovely project that General could make on his own. :)
I just love the wreath's natural simplicity.....and it turned out to be inexpensive and pretty easy, too.

You can find the tutorial posted at Waltzing Matilda.  Thank you, Charlotte, for sharing this beautiful idea!

For our thorns, we used a package of wooden craft picks from Michael's.  The variety with pointy-ends were out of stock, so (as General pointed out) ours don't resemble thorns quite as much. :)  Next year, we'll replace these.


Also, we used coffee to stain the picks instead of paint or dye.  This way, I didn't have to worry about the mess.....or about the little ones accidentally getting into it.  I think it turned out pretty well!


There was an old jar of instant coffee in my cupboard, with about 1/4 cup of grounds left in it.  We mixed it up with several tablespoons of hot water, and it worked very nicely.  A freshly-brewed cup of strong coffee would work, too.


Didn't General do a nice job?  We were both pretty happy with how sturdy the wreath turned out, too.  And he was pretty pleased at being able to make something special for the family to enjoy. :)


Blessings,

4 comments:

  1. L.O.V.E. General, you did your family proud, and all of us out here in blog land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea...and your son did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully executed, General! So realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Collette!!! Thank you so much for sharing this idea. I am bookmarking it for next year. very good project for the children. Your son did a great job. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...