Friday, April 13, 2012

A Good Friday Supper

My final post from our Easter activities this year. :)

Over the past year, I've slowly begun using themed meals - especially tea-parties - as a way to teach my children about the meaning and significance behind many of our beloved holidays.
It's such a lovely way to celebrate ~ and tell "the Story" of our Christian faith.
And using food as a teaching-aid always seems to be a big hit with my children, boys included! 


They seem to really enjoy it when I pull out the special dishes and set a nice table...a party just for them.
The atmosphere sparks questions and conversation... opportunities for a Mama to impress the truths and perspectives on their growing hearts, that they really need to hear.

On Good Friday, Rose & I cooked up this special meal, inspired by all of the beautiful Lenten Teas you can find over at Shower of Roses (where you can also find the printable cards for each dish!) and Cottage Blessings.  (Thank you, Jessica & Alice, for so generously sharing these beautiful ideas!)

In a way, these teas remind me of a Christian Seder meal, each item on the table telling a small part of the story of Jesus' Passion, from Palm Sunday to His burial.
As we passed the dishes around the table and ate, we remembered and discussed His great Sacrifice for us . . . which helped prepare our hearts for the hope and joy of a Risen Savior, as we look forward to Easter morning!


There are many different dishes to choose from, and I ended up only choosing a few things, that went together into a dinner menu I knew my family (and husband :) would enjoy.  Here's what we served...

~:: On the Menu ::~

Peter's Sour Lemon Chicken Soup
..........

Hearts of Palm Tea Sandwiches
..........

"Passionate" Caprisi Salad:
Unleavened Bread
Thirty Pieces of Silver (mozzarella)
Roman Centurion's Soldiers (tomatoes)
The Two Robbers (basil)
Mount of Olives
Costly Oil (olive oil)
Vinegar (balsamic)
..........

Gethsemane Fig Newtons
&
Crown of Thorns Crackers
..........

Judas' Chocolate Kiss
&
Royal Fruit Leather
..........

Hot Cross Buns & Jam
............................................................................


Peter's Sour Lemon Chicken Soup (not pictured) represented Peter's denial of Jesus on the night of His arrest, before the rooster crowed.  My family loves this soup, and I thought it would be a good fit for this symbol, since it is a little sour....and the story says that Peter "wept bitterly." 

~:: Lemon Chicken Soup ::~

5 cups chicken broth
5 cups water
5 tsp. chicken bouillon
3 carrots, chopped fine
1 large onion, chopped fine
4 cups cooked, cubed chicken
1 cup rice
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. flour
1/3 cup lemon juice
3 eggs, beaten
1-2 tsp. oregano

In a large pot, combine the first five ingredients and bring to a boil.  Add chicken and rice, then cover and reduce heat.  Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.

In a small saucepan, melt butter & stir in flour until thickened.  Gradually add 1 cup of broth from the soup until mixture is smooth, stirring out any lumps.  Stir in the lemon juice and oregano.  

Add this mixture to the soup pot, cooking and stirring over low heat until thickened.  Stir eggs into the soup, cooking over very low heat just until thickened (if you cook too long or at too high of a temperature, they will scramble).

If the soup gets too thick, or when reheating the next day, add more water until the broth is of your desired consistency.

~ :: ~

The Hearts of Palm Tea Sandwiches represented Jesus' ride into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.  (Mark 11:8)
Hearts of Palm is a favorite of my husband's, so I experimented with these sandwiches a bit to come up with something special just for him.  He loved them....and I think I'll be making these again soon!


The recipe is very simple.  Start with some thinly sliced italian (or white) bread, and cut it into small squares.  Spread with Garlicky Cream Cheese Spread and top with slices of palm hearts.

~:: Garlicky Cream Cheese Spread ::~

1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning (or basil/oregano)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Bring cream cheese to room temperature, or soften in the microwave.  Crush the garlic in a press and stir into cream cheese along with seasoning and salt.  Mix well.

**Note: raw garlic will make this spread fairly spicy.  If your family doesn't like the taste of garlic raw, you can substitute garlic salt to-taste (omit regular salt).

~ :: ~

The Unleavened Bread represented Jesus' Last Supper (Mark 14:12).  I couldn't find pita bread at my store, so I used Italian flatbread, instead.  It does have yeast in the dough, but the flat texture was still very realistic. :)



Thirty Pieces of Silver represented the sum of money that Judas received in payment for betraying Jesus to the chief priests.  I decided to use mozzarella cheese sticks for our "coins" since cheese is a main part of Caprisi salad.  Fresh mozzarella, if you can find it, would work wonderfully, too!



The Roman Centurion was a captain in charge of 100 soldiers, and who watched as Jesus breathed His last, saying "Truly this man was the Son of God." (Mark 15:39).  I didn't count the tomato pieces, but my kids all agreed it looked like a hundred slices. :)



The Mount of Olives is the place where the Garden of Gethsemane is located; and where Jesus' arrest took place.  (Matthew 26:30)


The Two Robbers who were crucified on either side of Jesus are represented by basil leaves, which are rumored to have grown around the site of Christ's crucifixion, and are known for both bitterness and sweetness....the taunting thief and the good thief.  (Mark 15:27)


The Costly Oil represented Jesus' anointing by the woman at Bethany....and the Vinegar represented the vinegar given to Jesus to drink, while He was on the cross.



To make the "Passionate Caprisi Salad," each person placed a serving of tomatoes, mozzarella and olives on their plate.  Topped with two or three basil leaves, torn into small pieces.  Drizzled with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt to taste.

~:: for dessert ::~

"Gethsemane" Fig Newtons represented the Garden where Jesus' arrest took place (Mark 14:32).  "Royal" Fruit Leather symbolized the purple robe that the Roman soldiers put on Jesus (Mark 15:17). The Hot Cross Buns symbolized both the cross and Jesus' burial....by placing a little bit of jam in the center of each & closing them back up again.  We also had Judas' Chocolate Kiss (Mark 14:45) and Crown of Thorns Crackers (Mark 15:17).


This little meal was extra-special since it was served for dinner, instead of during school time, as all of our teas have been served so far.  This way, my husband could take the lead in teaching these treasures of the Faith...and really, there was just something beautiful about having the whole family around the table.  Both of my older children commented later, saying "this should be our new tradition."  And so it will :)


Have a beautiful weekend celebrating this season of new life, hope and joy!

Blessings,

7 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Collette. And it's priceless to share it with the whole family around the table. (Mount of Olives!! Love it!) And I know they'll look forward to this again next Easter. Great way to share Christ with them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely spread Collette! Thanks for sharing!! : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so over the moon about this, Collette, I can't even stand it! I am Pinning AND printing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. splendid!

    your one of the most creative mama's I know!

    I love the idea behind this all and the photos rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collette~
    You did such a fantastically beautiful job with all of this!
    I am so impressed!
    I am bookmarking these posts for next year.
    Thank you!
    Love, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your Easter posts were so inspiring, Collette. I kept reading them and thinking, "Oh, I wish I had time to do that!" This year I didn't get to everything I wanted to do. As several other ladies said above, I'm going to bookmark these and refer to them next year!

    And I will echo Amanda...you are one of the most creative and artistic mamas! Thanks so much for being an inspiration. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOWSER!!!! This was heartwarming and inspiring!!!!! I love the way you have poured your heart into your family and children in teaching them in every way you can about Christ. BEAUTIFUL! Another one to book mark!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...