Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Hot Cross Buns {Recipe}

Rose & I made these sweet rolls on Good Friday, and they turned out delicious!
Hot Cross Buns are traditionally served on Good Friday...but they would make a lovely springtime treat anytime during the Easter season.
The bread is lightly spiced, and not overly sweet - perfect for serving with your coffee or tea.
They also reheat very nicely...and served with a little butter or jam, they'd make a quick little snack before church on Sunday morning. :)


I made mine using a stand mixer, although you can knead the dough by hand as well.
The recipe is simple to make, just make sure you plan enough time for the dough to rise.  If you start your dough first thing in the morning, you should have yummy warm rolls by lunchtime. :)


Hot Cross Buns


4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2/3 cup dried currants or raisins
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 100-110 F)
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar (I used white)
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten


For the Icing:
2 Tbsp. melted butter
juice of 1/2 of a lemon
4 Tbsp. powdered sugar (more, if needed)


In a mixing bowl, stir together 3 1/2 cups of the flour, the cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger.  Toss the currants or raisins with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, and set aside.


Sprinkle the yeast into the warm water, and stir in 1 tsp. sugar. Let sit until frothy.


Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, scald the milk.  Add the butter, sugar and salt, stirring until melted and blended.  Let cool to lukewarm.  Beat eggs and add to milk mixture.  Then add the yeast, stirring well.


Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture & pour in the yeast/milk mixture from the pot.  If using a stand mixer, beat on low speed for 5 minutes using the paddle or dough hook attachment.  You may need to stir with a wooden spoon at first, to get things started.  (By hand, use a wooden spoon or hand mixer.)  Mix the extra 1/2 cup flour-with-raisins into the dough, and add more flour as necessary until the dough is smooth and elastic, and fairly firm.  (Or turn onto a floured surface and knead by hand).  This part should only take a few minutes.


Place dough into an oiled bowl, turning the dough to cover all sides.  Cover the bowl with a towel and set in a warm place to rise until the dough is doubled in size (about 2 hours).


Punch down the dough and shape it into two dozen small buns.  Place them about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets or in muffin pans.  Cut a cross on top of each bun, using a sharp knife.  Cover with a towel and allow to rise again, until doubled (about 30-45 minutes).


Bake at 400 F for 18 - 20 minutes.


For the icing, mix the powdered sugar with the melted butter and lemon juice (adding more sugar if it is too runny).  Brush or drizzle a cross on top of each cooled bun.


I have a downloadable/printable copy of this recipe posted here, just for you. :)


Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. this was on our to-do list, but Mama was icky, and it didn't happen. Next Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The buns look scrumptious! Only hard part for me would be finding a "warm place to let them rise". Ha! It's always a bit nippy here! I thought of you when I was perusing my cookbook for a recipe and came across one that wraps the yeast dough around a marshmallow. I'm thinking they would puff up and be hollow inside... reminiscent of an empty tomb maybe? It was in Betty Crocker, if you're interested. Wish I were closer so I could do tea and those hot-cross buns with you ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my kitchen tends to be chilly, too.....I've found that if you turn the oven on for *just* a few seconds, it warms up enough to make a nice spot for rising the dough.
      Your recipe sounds yummy - & I love the idea of a hollow center! Maybe a blog post for Clicks & Keys?? :-) I'd love to keep that in mind for next Easter...I'm sure my kiddos would enjoy helping w/the marshmallows. :)
      Sigh...yes, a visit just for tea and catching up would be so.very.nice!!

      Delete
  3. I'm new to your blog and thanks for the recipe. These are actually a memory from childhood. Our neighborhood bakery always made them this time of year. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for taking a moment to say hello - it's nice to meet you! Heading over to visit your blog, too. :) Have a blessed day!! ~Collette

      Delete
  4. Yummy, Collette.
    I love that you bake with your daughter.
    So sweet.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. So traditional!!!! Love it!

    Thank you for sharing the recipe... I have never made my own from scratch, next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...