Monday, May 21, 2012

Lazy Daisy Cake

Good Afternoon!

I hope this Monday has been a peace- and grace-filled one for you, so far!

Ours has been....quiet.  We are taking things slow, today.  :)
Last week ended up being a challenging one, as my children & I all passed around another case of the flu.  We were all thankful to be healthy in time for (among other things) a nature walk with our homeschool group on Friday - and an End-of-the-Schoolyear Potluck on Sunday evening!  BUT...as you can imagine, a busy weekend has left us tired.  And my house in need of a good clean-up.
And so....my main task for this Monday is re-setting our rhythms here at home, once again.

I am feeling so thankful today, too.
I do believe my cup has been filled to the brim over this past week and weekend!
This camaraderie and fellowship I've found, of like-minded Mamas - both in "real" life, and every bit as much here in the blogosphere - has blessed me through and through!
Ladies who have devoted their lives to homemaking and mothering, and some to homeschooling.  All, strengthening and encouraging - sharpening each other.  To keep us pressing forward...to keep our eyes on the goal of our labors.
It is precious to me - and it is good.  Needed.
And that's what this is all about!
Thanking God for each one of you, today. :)

~~~***~~~

Yesterday I baked a Lazy Daisy Cake, to bring to the potluck.  This old-fashioned recipe came from a cookbook that my Grandma used - and was a hit with everyone in my family!  It's simple to make, and uses ingredients that I always keep on hand....yet is "special" enough to serve to company.  I think it would also make a lovely dessert for Sunday dinner. :)



Lazy Daisy Cake
(click here for printable recipe :)


4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter


Frosting:
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups butter, melted
1/2 cup cream
2 cups flaked coconut


In a mixing bowl, beat egg, sugar and vanilla until thick (about 4 minutes).  Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder & salt.  Add to the mixing bowl and beat just until combined.  In a saucepan, heat & stir the milk and butter until warm, and the butter has melted (do not boil).  Add to batter and beat just until combined.  Pour into a greased 13 x 9" pan.  Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes.


For the frosting, combine brown sugar, melted butter, cream and coconut, stirring well.  Spread over warm cake.  Broil until the top is lightly toasted/browned - about 3-4 minutes.  


Makes 16-20 servings.



Wishing you a Monday filled with the simple joys of just being home!
Blessings,



Linked up at:  Women Living Well, Better Mom Monday, Titus 2 Tuesdays

7 comments:

  1. Hi Collette, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collette~ i just love your sweet spirit. And appreciate you, too!
    That cake looks divine! And my husband would love that frosting. He loves coconut!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I admit it...the "lazy" cake factor is what drew me to your post. Ha! Sounds delish. I'd love to have you link this up to Titus 2 Tuesday on Cornerstone Confessions.

    Hopping over from Growing Home.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a sweet post. I too am thankful for the like minded Mom's. . .it is so encouraging. Thanks for sharing your cake recipe; I hope to give it a try. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - Welcome! I'm glad you stopped by! :)

    Thank you, Kristin!! I'm loving the fellowship of this little blog community! Now I just need to find a good rhythm/system for keeping up with all of the fun conversation here, through the comments, lol....

    Kathy - It's nice to meet you! Lol - "lazy" is exactly what made me give it a try, too (I was short on time that day!)...that, and the coconut topping. (Just like you, Kristin, my hubby is a coconut fan. :) Thanks for stopping by - I will pop over to check out your linkup.

    Stacie - Thanks for visiting! It really is a blessing to be able to encourage each other in this way! Glad to meet you - have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up. It still looks yum! I've pinned it. It will be made soon. ;)

      Delete
  6. This looks yummy! I would love if you would share this on my linky party!
    http://www.igottatrythat.com/p/blog-hop-linky-colde.html
    Thanks,
    Marcie @ www.IGottaTryThat.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...