Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A July Daybook

Outside my window :: It's going to be another hot, sunny day!  It's been a l o n g time since we've had a summer like this one.  Thankfully we had a lot of rain over the weekend, and our grass is starting to look green once again!

** from the kitchen window **


I am thankful :: for the opportunity to go on a trip with my family next week!  Because of my husband's line of work (summer and winter are his B.U.S.Y. seasons), we rarely ever plan any traveling or trips this time of year.  However - each summer, my side of the family spends a week together in the North Woods of Wisconsin, and it worked out (at the very last minute!) for us to join them this time. :)  My kids are sooooo excited to spend a week with all of their cousins (and Aunties, Uncles, Grandma & Grandpa!) and we're all looking forward to the fishing, hiking and swimming!


I'm really hoping::  that this weather will cool down enough for my husband to join us, at least for a few days!  The forecast is showing temps near 100 degrees for the rest of the week, so it looks like he might have to stay behind to attend the business.  This will be my first time to take a trip without him, and I confess I'm a little sad that he can't come!  But, I know my family will be very helpful with the kiddos, and it will be a fun time once we are there...


I am thinking :: about all of the packing I need to do this week!  Clothing, fishing things, nature guides & etc., food, books and other things to keep my kiddos happily occupied during the 8-hour car ride...  If there's time, I'm hoping to put together some nature-study activities for my kids, too (we'll see! ;)



In the kitchen :: Lots of baking & freezing, to prepare for next week....  Today I have quite a few bananas ready to be made into banana bread.  Tomorrow it will be chocolate chip cookies.


I am wearing :: an old t-shirt and yoga-pants.  As soon as I finish typing up this daybook, I'll be clocking in my exercise for today.  Last month, I committed to using this DVD three times a week, and I've been able to (mostly) stay consistent with it!  It was hard, in the beginning, to stay motivated - but now that the painful/sore stage is over I don't want to miss any days (so I don't lose any progress and have to go through the soreness all over again, lol!).  I'm also (already!) feeling much stronger and have so much more energy than I did, even a few weeks ago.   That, more than anything else, is a big encouragement to keep going!


I am creating :: A few little sewing projects/lessons for Rose...something we started several weeks ago, & I hope to spend more time on it, once our trip is over and we're all settled back in. :)  Also....I've been working on a new printable/art project - a little something for the garden that the kids can make.  It's almost finished & I'll be posting it in a few weeks....


I am going :: to be hosting The Art of Being Mama's first-ever giveaway, very soon!  I'm not going to tell you what it is just yet (don't you just love a surprise??)...but in case you're curious, here are a few clues :)

it's a little something that I've been using - and loving - for quite awhile, now
it's something specially handmade by one of my all-time favorite bloggers and her family :)
it smells heavenly!
it's very good for you
and my kiddos all love it as much as I do! 

I think you will love it, too. :)  
So be sure to check back in a week or two, when I'll be posting more about this lovely giveaway!


I am reading :: very little, these days!  My book-time has been limited to my morning Scriptures...and homeschooling curricula reviews.  Once I finalize our school plans for next year, I'm hoping to catch up on my ever-growing reading-list a little bit!


From the Learning Room :: We wrapped up most of our academics last month and are taking a break from the formal subjects until the end of the summer.  But the learning continues!  I love this time of year, when we can relax into something of of an "unschooling" way of learning-as-we-live.  Lately, there has been lots of:  music being practiced, arts and crafts, self-directed history, science and nature explorations, Mama-directed nature lessons, nature walks, reading, weeding gardening, bracelet-making, story-writing and letter-writing.  Also....lots of practical skills are being learned - cooking, baking, painting and staining, yardwork, and Dad-directed home repairs.

From my Teacher's Planner :: I'm still working on lining up our curricula for this fall.  There are decisions to be made for our Language Arts (hopefully I'll have some time to think about it during our week away!)....and we'll be adding a few new subjects this year, too (French and Latin).  For history this year, I'm working on putting together my own book lists and some crafty unit studies that will include geography and literature, too.  And of course, there will be more of Little Monkey's Alphabet Time units....


Around the house :: Lots of Laundry!  I would really like to have the house cleaned before we leave on Saturday.......but, realistically - if things are just in order, I'll be very happy!


:: Two favorite quotes for today :: 

"Jesus, help me simplify my life by learning what You want me to be - and becoming that person." 
~ St. Therese of Lisieux

"Do not wish to be anything but what you are - and try to be that perfectly."  
~ St. Francis de Sales

I found that last quote over the weekend, when I read this thought-provoking post about social media and the internet in general.  As a mama of a junior-higher (who will not be entering the world of Facebook, Twitter, or texting for several years, yet!), I'm entering a whole new world, myself, of parenting things to consider these days!  Anyway....this post is well worth the read - even if your children aren't at that stage just yet.  I found a lot of wisdom there, that could be very easily directed to blogging, too!


One of our favorite things :: Rose has been enjoying this sweet instructional DVD for beginning ballet!  I found it on Amazon (where else?) and had a gift card to cover the cost....so I decided to purchase and watch it, to determine whether it would be a good fit/appropriate for her.  And I loved it!  It's a one-hour lesson that covers the basics of ballet and includes one short routine at the end.  The instructor (and young girls who demonstrate) are dressed nicely and have a very feminine, confident, lovely way of presenting themselves - AND (naturally!) it is all set to classical music.  Now, if only I could find an effective DVD like this for myself, lol!


:: A few plans for the rest of the week ::

*take our vehicle in for an oil-change and a once-over before the trip
*4th of July parade tomorrow morning
*4th of July party with my husband's side of the family
*grocery shopping toward the end of the week
*packing!
*leave on Saturday morning for Wisconsin


:: A peek into my day ::


"Cowboy Peanut"

This little boy loves to wear his older brother's boots!  I took this photo several weeks ago, and it's still his favorite git-up to wear, everyday. :)


~~~~~~~*****~~~~~~~

I'm hoping to be back later this week with another post or two, if the packing goes well....
But if not, I'll be posting next week from the North Woods!

Have a blessed week and a safe 4th!
~Collette



p.s. Be sure to head over to the Simple Woman's Daybook to read more journals - or maybe even write one of your own!



5 comments:

  1. Oh...so much happening for you right now!

    It's extremely hot here!
    Not a drop of rain in...forever.

    You'll be fine on your trip.
    How exciting!
    And we rarely getaway as well. At least never for a week!

    Hope you'll share your schooly choices.
    And...we love the "unschooling" method in summer.

    As far as FB, twitter and the like.
    Uggggh.

    And darling photo of that baby in his big boy boots.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin!
      LOL...we finally *actually* broke 100* yesterday (its only made it to 98/99 so far), and wowzers was it a scorcher!
      My heart goes out to you & all the families who have had this for so long - and especially those who are homesteading/farming! Time to start praying for some (non-severe) rain, for sure!

      Working on my curricula posts already :) Hope you'll share, too!! :)

      Have a blessed day - and stay cool!

      Delete
  2. Hurray for the coming North Woods! It will be nice to have some sister time - woo hoo :>) I've always hoped to leave with a clean house left behind... hoped. Sometimes it happened, sometimes not. Really, either way is ok. Vacations are to be enjoyed, so don't make yourself feel badly if getting out isn't as organized as you would wish. Baking is nice, and sometimes I've managed - and I even briefly thought about banana bread for this year, but I've crossed baking off the list already. If you do sneak baking time in, may I sneak over to your cabin for a little slice with some tea? I'll bring the tea :>) As far as car ride distractions, maybe we can switch up some kids vs. cars if a change of scenery is needed. - And I'm talking about my kids!! ha!
    Your photos are always so lovely to look at! The flowers are beautifully captured. Are those chives that I see? - the blue-violet poufy ones? The photo taken of the bracelet is so pretty. Cowboy Peanut makes me smile.
    Here's to a productive but pleasant week for you :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Yep...last night I was already crossing a bunch of things off my to-do list & thinking I *may* have over-planned a wee bit ;)
      And the banana bread/cookies...well...I figure that even if I don't bring them with, at least it would be a little something to make next week sweeter for Chris! (LOL...but really, he loves good old Entenmann's coffee cake just as much, so no pressure there, either!)
      My kiddos would L.O.V.E. to swap rides....and I'm sure mine could keep yours entertained for QUITE some time ;)
      And, yes - those are chives! They must love this hot weather because there were so many (and big ones!) this year.
      I'm thinking I may just have to sneak a special teacup or two somewhere into one of our bags! :)
      Have a Happy 4th!

      Delete
  3. I love the relaxed pace of summer...the unschooly days...time to craft and bake...and road trips!!

    Hope you have a great vacation! Maybe you'll get a break from the heat...it's been a rough summer so far. I know you'll enjoy your time with family:)

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...