Monday, August 27, 2012

A Family Favorite Recipe :: Lemon Pound Cake

I've had several requests for this recipe, and thought I would finally share it with you today!

This is the recipe from Rose's and General's birthday cakes.  I originally found it somewhere online (can't remember where!), when my husband casually hinted one day, that his favorite dessert - EVER - is homemade lemon poundcake with glazed icing.  :0)

So I "surprised" him at dinner that evening with this cake - and it was a hit with everyone in my family!  It bakes in a bundt pan and has a heavy, moist texture - nice and filling.  Best of all, one cake easily makes 16 or more servings - perfect for a large family, for bringing to potlucks, or for having lots of leftovers. :)


The recipe has been altered a bit to accommodate what's usually on hand in my cupboard.  Sometimes I end up adding more lemon juice (especially if the lemon is a juicy one), which really punches up the flavor - but it also increases the baking time.

(Printable copy can be found here!)

* Lemon Pound Cake *

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
juice from 1/2 of a lemon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream

Lemon Glaze

1/4 cup melted butter
juice from the other 1/2 of the lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons vanilla
enough powdered sugar to make a smooth, thick (but pourable) consistency (about 2-3 cups)

* * *
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar at a high speed for 5 minutes, until it is very light and fluffy.  (Scrape the bowl occasionally.)  Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

When the butter and sugar are finished creaming, beat in the eggs, one at a time.  Mix well after each one and scrape the bowl frequently.  Add lemon juice and mix well.

Add the flour and sour cream to the batter, alternately - adding each in three additions, and combining just until smooth.  Pour the batter into a buttered & floured 10" bundt pan.  Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a platter.

For the glaze, mix the butter, lemon juice, vanilla and powdered sugar together in a bowl.  Blend until smooth and it makes a thick coating over a spoon (but will still pour easily).  Drizzle evenly over the warm cake.  (Any extra glaze can be served in a little dish on the side!)


~~~~~***~~~~~

We have just one week to go before our school year "officially" begins!  This week I'm hoping to finish up our lesson plans, and plan a few surprises for our first day - next Tuesday....and I still have some final organizing to do in our school "area."  If all goes well, I may have a few pics to post, we'll see.

In the meantime....
Wishing you a lovely Monday...and a sweet start to your week! :)
Blessings,
Collette



Linking up at...Cornerstone Confessions

11 comments:

  1. A great family recept! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake sounds delicious! Heavy, moist, and delicious... sounds like my husband would want me to try this SOON! Isn't school-planning fun? Hope you have a productive week :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.....our hubbies must have similar taste, or something. :) Hee hee ;-)
      Yes, the planning is fun.....until I begin to run out of time! Then the jitters set in. Which happens every last weekend in August, I'm noticing. :)
      Hope you have a lovely weekend!
      Love,
      Collette

      Delete
  3. This will be the next cake I bake! It reminds me of one that my grandmother used to make:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Collette~ This cake looks delicious! Moist and heavy...my kind of yummy.
    I'll be printing this off as I know some boys around here would love it!
    We are heading out tomorrow on a little family adventure and so I wanted to wish you well for next week! I wasn't as organized as I should have been which really ended up hurting us, so I am so glad that you are taking care to do so.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristin!
      LOL, well I am *trying* to get things in order....but I don't think all will be truly ready in time. The same thing happened to me last year, I wasn't fully prepared & then I spent the rest of the school year scrambling to stay on top of everything. But at some point, we do just need to get started, LOL!
      A family adventure? Sounds like fun!! I hope you'll post some pics afterward :0)
      Wishing you a lovely end-to-your-week!
      ♥Collette

      Delete
  5. Jedidja - I'm glad you will enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn - LOL, that is the same thing my husband said....he remembered it from his Grandma's house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! can I freeze this cake? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I've never actually frozen this recipe before, but I *think* it should freeze well! Maybe just make sure the cake is baked thoroughly...sometimes the lemon juice will give it a very moist texture ~ yummy when serving it fresh, but too much moisture might make it soggy after freezing/thawing (maybe!). :) HTH! Blessings, Collette

      Delete
  8. I've made this cake many, many, many times. It always comes out perfectly and is a huge hit. I love lemon flavored things do I add more lemon to the drizzle than it calls for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...