Friday, August 3, 2012

An August Daybook

Outside my window... it's another bright, warm morning.  I'm so thankful that the intense heat seems to have finally broken in our area - temps have *only* been in the 90's this week ;) and the forecast for next week is even a little cooler!  Maybe my grass will turn green once again?



A honeybee!  This is the first time I can remember seeing one of these in my garden since we've lived at this house...




I am thinking... about how long it's been since I've posted!  I never intended to take a blog break, but things ended up getting busy during the last half of our trip to the Northwoods....and I was pretty exhausted after the 9-hour drive back home again!  And incredibly sore.  On the last day of the trip, my very talented and athletic (and much younger!!) nephews were very sweet to invite me out onto the lake to show me how to wakeboard - and oh my, did they made it look so easy!  It was a lot of fun, and they really did *try so hard* to get me up & out of the water.......  But.  I do believe.  My wake-boarding stage-of-life has come and gone!!  (Although...I think I'm okay with that... ;)  I could barely move for a couple days....and I couldn't use my hands until the end of the week!  (Typing was definitely out of the question!)  I am still working on sorting through all of our photos & I'm hoping to post a few more before too long.




Little Monkey was awed by the fire trucks at our 4th of July Parade!




I am thankful...  for the fun, fellowship and wonderful memories we shared with my family!  For my children to be able to spend some quality and quantity time with their aunts and uncles, Grandma & Grandpa, & cousins.  And for my hard-working and generous husband who was so sweet to stay behind in the heat & work long hours, so that his family could go and have fun!  

In the kitchen... Last summer, I started buying our produce from a farm-stand just a few blocks from our house, and have been eagerly waiting for them to open up again this year.  Last week, I finally noticed their doors were open & their sign was up (it's inside a barn! :)  So today, I'm hoping to stop in for a quick visit, on our way back from the kids' fencing and archery class.  I'm pretty sure peaches are in season now, in our area...yum!

I am wearing...  Capri's, a t-shirt with some crochet-work around the collar, and a very old (but comfy!) pair of flip-flops.

I am creating... our history curriculum for the coming school year.  (This is probably the biggest reason why I've been absent from blogging for so long ;)  The week after we returned from Wisconsin, I started looking into several different history curricula & had a difficult time finding one that would be "the right fit" for my family.  I love to use a "living-books" approach for this subject, but quickly realized that I already have a long list of books in mind that I want to use with my children....  So after talking it over with my husband, I decided to put together my own units for us to use this year!  We'll be studying the Middle Ages - and I'm almost finished fine-tuning our reading-lists and choosing the projects & activities to go along with the topics.  Hopefully I'll be able to find many of our books used on Amazon or through Paperback swap.




I am going... to be placing an order for our new writing program this afternoon!  Writing is another area I  want to focus on this year, with both General and Rose.  Chris & I looked over a few different programs, but IEW stood out to us both for it's classical method - and because it's designed to encourage a love of writing in students.  It's a bit of an investment the first year, but since it's non-consumable I know I'll be able to use it (eventually) with all of my children....as we've been able to do with other programs that were a good "fit" in our home.  (There is also an excellent refund policy, in case it turns out not to be a good fit!)  I watched several of their free webinars (archived on their website) before we made the final decision - and I'm pretty excited to get started with it!  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to grow a bit in my writing skills, too. :)

I am wondering... where our summer went?  The month of July flew by so quickly and already there's only a few weeks left before we get rolling with our school year!  General's homeschool-soccer team starts practicing next week, and the calendar is filling up fast!

I am reading...  Europe and the Faith by Hilaire Belloc.... and I'm hoping to catch up on some blog-reading very soon! ;)

I am looking forward to... General's birthday, next week!  It's hard to believe that my baby oldest son is going to be twelve years old!  Although, he's been growing so fast all this spring and summer & he definitely looks the part, these days.  For his theme, he has requested a Lord of the Rings birthday and even came up with a great (and, as he said, "easy-to-make" lol!) idea for his cake - the One Ring.  

Around the house... there's lots of cleaning to be done!  (And laundry!)  I'm hoping to finish ordering & planning all of our curricula over the weekend, and then move on to organizing/setting up our school room next week.

A favorite quote for today...  


Prayer for Generosity


Dearest Lord, teach me to be generous;
teach me to serve you as you deserve to be served -
to give and not to count the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek for rest,
to labor and not to ask any reward
except that of knowing that I do your holy will.

~St. Ignatius of Loyola




A few plans for the rest of the week: 

Today - fencing & archery.  
Tomorrow - grocery shopping and a few errands.  
Sunday - church and hopefully a relaxing afternoon/evening :) 
Monday - a meeting for General's soccer team - followed by his first practice on Thursday! 



A peek into my day...


This one is for you, Grandma!! :)




General and his buddies very kindly obliged Rose at her Josefina birthday party by wearing some stick-on mustaches for fun (well....General wasn't convinced that it was really all that fun, lol!).  Ever since then, Rose, Little Monky & Peanut have been having a blast making home-made disguises out of construction paper & tape -  mustaches & beards (and cat-ears taped to headbands) in particular.  General has announced, however, that there will be ABSOLUTELY NO dressing up for his birthday, haha! :)


Wishing you a peaceful & joyful weekend!


~~~~~***~~~~~
To read more daybooks - or better yet, to write one of your own - visit Peggy at The Simple Woman's Daybook! 

4 comments:

  1. Love this post - I've always wanted to link up with her. And I'm loving your "new" blog look... is it? It feels like you changed something. The font?

    Sweet sigh. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bevy!! :0) Yes, I am forever fiddling with the fonts and backgrounds...this time I used a photo of my deck for the background, lol. I figure it should match all seasons. :) You should try a daybook sometime! Thanks for your kind comment - you've brightened my day!! Hope you have a beautiful week! :)

      Delete
  2. I've missed your posts - but boy, have you been busy :>) Your photos of flowers and bugs are absolutely beautiful... and the boys being moustached are hilarious. You've accomplished so much since vacation - whew! I think that planning curriculum (tho time-consuming) sounds like a bit of fun - and it sounds like it was satisfying coming to some conclusions that will fit your family well. God bless you all with strength and enthusiasm ahead :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! LOL....I must confess...I really do love curric planning - it's kind of like working out a big puzzle, maybe? And it definitely is peaceful to have it all finished & tucked neatly into it's spot in the planning-chart......but, of course, working out *the plan* is the tricky part! :0) Hope you all are doing well - have a lovely Tuesday!!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...