Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweet, Joyful Graces

I meet with You and my soul sings out
As Your word throws doubt far away.
I sing to You and my heart cries, "Holy!
Hallelujah, Father You're near."

My hope is in You, Lord, all day long!

I won't be shaken by drought or storm.
A peace that passes understanding is my Song;
And I sing ~ My hope is in You, Alone.

~Aaron Shust



I think I began my last post with the words, "It's been busy around our house, so things have been quiet  on the blog..."  Despite all of my best planning, this school year has gotten off to a rough start, for sure.

Our past few weeks have been....hard.
Challenging circumstances beyond my control, several rounds of the flu (including one case of pneumonia), a very sad loss in my husband's family that has both grieved and enlarged our hearts, if that makes sense.
On top of an already busier-than-usual schedule of activities for my children....and a hard-working hubby finishing up a big project.
My list could go on.....

All things I couldn't have known would be part of our September days.

But.  God knew.
Even back in July, when I began preparing our lessons and our fall calendar.  He knew.  :)

"But I trust in You, O Lord; I say, 'You are my God.'
My times are in Your hands...
Let Your face shine on Your servant; 
save me in Your unfailing Love."
~ Psalms 31 : 14 - 16



In the midst of all the ups and downs of these past weeks, there have been great joys, too.
It's funny, because when I say great, I actually mean very small...
Tiny things in the grand scheme of life, but great by the sense of consolation they bring to a Mama's heart.

Little moments of lightness, comfort, peacefulness and goodness.  Sweet reminders of God's love for us, little signs of His presence with us every day.  In all moments of every day.

Moments of warmth and hope.  Glimpses of brightness and beauty.

"...God sends His love and faithfulness." ~ Psalm 57:3


It's one of the things I am most thankful for, in this sometimes crazy, but always beautiful, life of being a Mama at home.  With my family.  Everyday, loving and caring and learning.

It's the fact that we truly are not alone.  God's presence is most definitely here, too....in the midst of it all.....and it only takes a quiet moment, even during the chaos, to realize it.



I am hoping to get back on my blogging feet someday soon.  I miss sharing all of our little projects and happy moments!  But for today, my priority is to love this sweet family of mine, and bring order to our home.  And to our school lessons.  :)

In the meantime, here are a few more joyful moments from our past week or so...


Rose has been quite handy in the garden.....this girl loves pulling weeds, go figure! It's a good thing, since we're all hoping to start a little veggie garden next spring. :)

Or rather, a tomato garden ~ so we can make some of these:


...a sweet gift of homemade spaghetti sauce from Chris' Nonna.  I asked her what her secret is, in making such delicious sauce - since my version of it never turns out quite like hers. :)  She said it's all in the tomatoes - the special variety that she & Nonno brought here with them, from Italy.  They had 120 plants in their garden this year.....

And now we all have a very good reason to get busy on a (much smaller!) garden of our own, next year.


We've started a quick review of the letters that Little Monkey studied in last year's Alphabet Time units.  Partly because it's been a long time since we worked on our last unit, and partly because I have a few new elements I will be adding to the mix this year.  This will give us a good chance to go back and catch up... before diving back into our animal and bible themes.


(Free alphabet worksheet printed from this website.)
It's amazing what a difference a summer makes, in a four-year-old's writing and drawing skills!



Our Michaelmas Daisies bloomed several weeks early this year, probably because we had such an early spring.  But their sweetly colored petals are still cheering up the corner next to our gate....and making lots of honeybees very happy. :)

A few happy happenings in our schedule for the rest of the week....

*Wednesday...trumpet lessons for General, ballet class for Rose
*Thursday....soccer practice and a trip to the library on the way
*Friday....soccer game in the early afternoon
*Saturday...grocery shopping, cleaning, and Family Pizza Night
*Sunday...a visit with some dear friends - one of whom is an amazing photographer...and she's taking some family photos for us!


~~~~~***~~~~~

"You will show me the path of Life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures for evermore." ~Psalm 16 : 11

Wishing you a week filled with the joy and contentment of God's Love. :)
Blessings,
Collette

8 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again. What a lovely "Catch Up" post. Loved it.

    Love those purple daises...
    And all the Scriptures/verses you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    Psalm 27
    I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
    That I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.
    Wait on the Lord;
    Be of good courage,
    And He shall strengthen your heart;
    Wait, I say, on the Lord!

    I cling to this one, on this side of heaven!

    Praying that God gently leads you all this week - and it sounds like some interesting activities ahead :>)

    I love your photography, and your skillful capture of light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this scripture! I think I'll be writing that one down to carry with me today :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful pictures, as always! Wish you lived close and could give me some pointers! :)

    I'm sorry it has been hard for you lately (we dealt with pneumonia earlier this year, and it was TOUGH!) and for your family's loss. Saying an extra prayer for you all! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! I truly appreciate your prayers!
      LOL, you know ~ my kids & I all agree it would be *sooo much fun* if we all lived nearby! Sigh...that is definitely one crazy thing about this bloggy-world, for sure! Of course, should you ever happen to find yourself in the Chicago-area...our door is always open! :0)

      Delete
  4. Oh...do I know how this feels, Collette.
    Here's to us and finding that lovely, lovely rhythm.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post of encouragement!
    I love the words that you shared at the beginning.
    Have you ever read "Disturb Us, Lord" by Francis Drake? I also find those words comforting in times of trial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Collette ~ I really enjoy your blog and am blessed by what you post here! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. You can see your nomination @ my blog here -http://momswhohomeschool.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-award.html
    Lord bless!
    Jan L. Burt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...