Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"Give Thanks" Wall Decor ~ Tutorial and {Printable}

I have a small shelf on the wall in my kitchen ~ out of reach of my little ones! ~ that has become my cozy little spot for seasonal decor.  It really doesn't take very much to warm up the room, and it's fun to think up different arrangements for each season....generally using things that I already have on hand.

A few weeks ago, I put together this pair of pictures using a few items from my craft-stash.  They were very simple to make, and I thought I would share them with you...in case you might be looking for a little something for your walls, too. :)




:: Here's a list of what you'll need ::

*2 8x10" frames
*white paper (I used watercolor paper, but card stock or regular printer paper would work, too!)
*background - any colorful paper (scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, etc.) or fabric
*optional - any little embellishments (buttons, ribbon, lace, raffia, small silk flowers, etc.)
*"Give Thanks" printables
*Scissors, Glue, Tape, Pencil




To begin, you'll need to print out a copy of the "Give Thanks" artwork.  I've posted the document on Scribd as a pdf file; please let me know if you have any trouble downloading or printing - I can email it to you instead. :)


{click the photo for the printable}

My favorite paper to use, by far, is watercolor art paper - the texture and color make the print look so nice!  If you have some on hand, you should consider giving it a try!

Just keep in mind that it might be a little challenging to feed it through your printer.  After trimming the paper to 8-1/2 x 11 inches, I empty my printer's paper drawer & put only one piece of watercolor paper in at a time.
It usually takes a few "tries" before my printer will accept the paper.....a little fussy, but I think it is worth it for the pretty effect in the end. :)

In other prints around my house, I've also used card stock (much easier on the printer!).  And plain printer paper looks pretty, too!


Trim each print, leaving a margin around the blue frame.  (I left about 1/2" around mine.)

Next comes the fun part. :)

Instead of using purchased matting, it's more interesting (and less expensive!) to use paper or fabric behind the prints.  Scrapbook paper, quilter's fat quarters, fabric scraps, wrapping paper....even brown paper bags....are all things I've used at one time or another.

I usually gather several colors and patterns all at once, and mix & match until one combination stands out to me.  Just to get your creative juices flowing, here are a few arrangements that I liked...


... brown & blue polkadot fat quarter from the fabric basket, with a leftover scrap of blue/green scrapbook paper...


...brown & white polkadot fabric...


... red plaid fabric from a garage sale.
This one was really my favorite - but since my kitchen has red walls, I wanted a different color in the picture's background.

In the end, I used a teal-plaid flannel shirt (also from a garage sale) that didn't fit, and has been sitting in my fabric bin ever since!


Paper grocery bags are one of my favorite things to use for just about all crafting!  I decided to use this as a mini-layer behind the print, and trimmed the paper to about 1/2" margin.

You may notice that my cutting isn't perfectly straight :)
I try not to be too perfectionistic (which is hard, lol!) about any of the cutting or layering....once it is all assembled and hanging up on the wall, any imperfections really aren't very noticeable.
And besides, it adds to the home-made charm (at least, that's what I think. :)


...Crinkle the paper-bag for extra texture...

And now it's time to assemble the finished piece. :)


I traced and trimmed my fabric-of-choice to fit the cardboard insert from the frame, and attached everything with scotch tape.  The frame's glass is really what holds all of the layers together in the end; the tape is mostly just to keep everything from sliding around during assembly.


... And the *almost* finished product ...


The paper & fabric alone are simple and cute!
But I thought it would be fun to add some embellishments, too...I borrowed some of the kids' school glue to tack on a few buttons leftover from the plaid shirt (used in the background), and little raffia bows.


And that's it!
Enjoy :)

~***~

It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is only a little more than a week away....my family is getting excited - and General has been calculating how many servings of mashed potatoes he'll be able to eat this year. :)

Tomorrow we will put together our Thankful Tree ~ a fun tradition we began last year, and my kids have been anxious to make another one!  I should have some new pics to post soon. :)

If this is your first time visiting, Welcome!  I hope you'll follow along ~ and perhaps leave a comment...I'd love to meet you!


Wishing you a joyful and grace-filled week!
Blessings,
~Collette

~***~

::Linking up::
Women Living Well
Growing Home
Titus2Tuesdays
Raising Homemakers

3 comments:

  1. Great tutorial Collette! I really enjoyed your prints in the last post; your frames turned out so inviting. I love using scrapbooking paper as a background, but hadn't thought about using old fabric...great idea, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny! LOL, the first time I used fabric was when I needed a background for a print in an 11x14 frame ~ custom matting was out of the question, and pretty paper was too small! Now it's my favorite.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy to follow tutorial - awesome! Thanks for showing all the different possible combinations and mediums; that was helpful and fun to look at. And watercolor paper!! I am definitely going to try that some time. Thanks for sharing your talent and creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...