Monday, November 19, 2012

Our Thankful Tree ~ 2012

We put together our first Thankful Tree last year, and it was an instant "family favorite" activity ~ something I knew we would continue to do every Thanksgiving!  Sure enough, my children have been asking when we would do the project this year...so last week we collected our leaves and sticks, found some pretty ribbon and got started on our 2012 Tree.


O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever.  ~Psalm 107:1


Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love & His wonderful deeds for men!  ~Psalm 107:15


First we made leaf-rubbings on plain white paper using the little one's crayons.  Then we cut out the leaf-shapes & punched a hole in each one, to make ornaments.  The kids wrote (or narrated for Mom to write!) their lists of things which they're thankful for, on the back of each leaf.  Such a fun way of discussing the meaning of gratefulness and the Thanksgiving holiday!


Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving, let us make a joyful noise to Him with songs of praise!  
~ Psalm 95:2


Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the Most High.  ~Psalm 50:14


This time, I used a glass vase for arranging the branches, since my pickle-jar from last year is currently being used as a display-container in our nature collection!  We tied on some raffia and leftover blue ribbon from the craft-stash, and hung each leaf with a piece of raffia as well.


We also added a few scripture-ornaments to the tree this year, handwritten on circles cut out of card stock.  (The same verses I've quoted in this post. :)


That my heart may sing to You and not be silent...O Lord my God, I will give You thanks forever.  ~Psalm 30:12


We just have a few things to work on in our school studies this week.... and then we'll be spending some time learning about the Pilgrims and the Thanksgiving holiday!  This morning I brought out all of the picture books for our Thanksgiving Book Basket, and I have a few crafts planned, too (if there's enough time to do them!).

In the kitchen, we've been baking all-things-pumpkin for the past few weeks ~ and I'll be back to share some of our favorite recipes, later this afternoon or tomorrow morning. :)

Until then...
Wishing you a peace-filled Monday and a blessed start to your week!
~Collette


~***~
Linking Up At ~
Women Living Well
Raising Homemakers
Growing Home
Artful Homemaking

2 comments:

  1. Nothing better than working on expressing your thankfulness! It warms my heart; I love your project. And the final result is priceless.
    I started just giving thanks to the Lord during my quiet time in devotions... and next thing I knew, well, my intended morning to-do list wasn't even begun when early lunch rolled around. But my heart was content and grateful. Have another pleasant day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a wonderful prayer-time! :) I've always thought it would be neat to keep a gratitude journal...a simple daily list of the things you're thankful for. Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to look back over a period of time & see the record of daily blessings? Maybe I'll make it a new years' resolution, lol. ;) Have a beautiful week!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...