Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Bars


This recipe is an old favorite of mine from when I was a little girl. :)
My Mom made (still makes!) these yummy bars every fall ~ the warm, spicy aroma that fills my house as they bake reminds me of many crisp-outside-but-cozy-inside Sunday afternoons, sharing time together with my family.


My own little family has been enjoying them lately, too!
A couple of my kitchen helpers helped whip up a batch (and take some photos) so we could share this recipe with you. :)

~ Pumpkin Spice Bars ~

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup melted butter (or oil)
1 (16 oz.) can pumpkin
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350F.  Beat eggs, sugar, butter (or oil) and pumpkin until light and fluffy.  Mix in the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground cloves, salt and baking soda.  Pour into an ungreased 15x10-inch (or jelly roll) pan, spreading evenly.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.....

(I love all the faces Little Monkey makes, when he's concentrating very hard!)

If you're not holding a camera ;) these are very quick to prepare.....just make sure you plan for enough time to allow the bars to cool before frosting them.


~ Cream Cheese Frosting ~

Ingredients:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Mix ingredients together, blending well.  Spread evenly on cooled bars, then cut into squares. :)


~ Enjoy!

~***~
Linking Up At ~
Women Living Well
Raising Homemakers
Growing Home
Artful Homemaking

5 comments:

  1. Yum! Must be in our childhood genes... I also have pumpkin bars awaiting for their Thanksgiving appearance. (They freeze well.) If you have 13x9 shallow foil baking pans from the store, one batch of dough/frosting fills the two pans. I will keep one in the freezer for me, and then give the other away :>) If you put those little pumpkin candies on top before freezing,and freeze without foil until firm, they wrap up easy, keeping the foil off the frosting while thawing out. Love your baking adventures over there - looks like fun, cozy times :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ideas are fantastic - LOVE the pumpkin candies! Love frozen treats ready-to-go :) I will definitely give this a try - thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Looks sweet and fun. We still have pumpkin puree from our pumpkin bread baking and I've wanting to do something different with it. This is great; we'll be trying it this week (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carissa!! Wishing you & your family a beautiful Thanksgiving! :0)

    Jenny - glad I could help you find a way to finish up your pumpkin stash :) I think I'll be doing the same today - and freezing some!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Things are pretty busy around our house, so I can't always leave as many replies as I would like to. But please know that I look forward to reading every note you send my way - they brighten my day! Blessings,Collette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...